cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Chase Sapphire Preferred to Reserve to bypass 5/24 rule?

tag
JakeRogue
Valued Member

Upgrade Chase Sapphire Preferred to Reserve to bypass 5/24 rule?

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card but after some research I think the Reserve card is definitely worth upgrading to based on my spending/travel habits. I have acquired 7 credit cards since 2016 though so I'm pretty sure that I'm not eligible for another Chase card due to the 5/24 rule. However, I understand that upgrading/downgrading cards are ways to bypass the 5/24 rule. Anybody have any insight into the pros and cons of upgrading my existing card, downgrading my existing card and applying for a new card? Any and all advice appreciated. I currently have 3 Chase products, Sapphire Preferred/Freedom Unlimited/Amazon Rewards.

FICO 8 October 2022 - EQ: 783 EX: 743 TU: 756
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgrade Chase Sapphire Preferred to Reserve to bypass 5/24 rule?

You can do it as long as the CSP is at least a year old. However to get the CSR you need at least a 10K limit on the card. You can either request a CLI which will be a HP or you can move some credit around from your other Chase cards.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was laws preventing upgrading a card to one with a higher annual fee.
Message 3 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Also of note that probably isn't an issue for you considering your acknowledgment of the 5/24 rule is that if you decide on upgrading your CSP to the CSR you forego the SUB for the CSR.

Message 4 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

The law only prevents the AF from increasing during the first year so once a card is over a year old it can be changed/upgraded to one with a higher AF (assuming the bank has one and your account is otherwise eligible)
Message 5 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was laws preventing upgrading a card to one with a higher annual fee.

Not if the card itself is at least a year old as ALK11 pointed out.

Message 6 of 10
JakeRogue
Valued Member

@simplynoir wrote:

Also of note that probably isn't an issue for you considering your acknowledgment of the 5/24 rule is that if you decide on upgrading your CSP to the CSR you forego the SUB for the CSR.

From my understanding, since I already have a Chase Sapphire product, I'm not eligible for the SUB. Unless I downgrade my exisiting CSP to another Chase product and then apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve?

FICO 8 October 2022 - EQ: 783 EX: 743 TU: 756
Message 7 of 10
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@JakeRogue wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

From my understanding, since I already have a Chase Sapphire product, I'm not eligible for the SUB. Unless I downgrade my exisiting CSP to another Chase product and then apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve?

That's right. You'd need to downgrade first, and wait a cycle for the card to post as the new downgraded card so the system recognizes it as such.

Also, you can still get the SUB if haven't got it in the past 2 years. So if your CSP is 2 years old, you can downgrade it. Wait a little and then apply for the CSR and get the SUB. 

If you want to just PC, I'd say the one thing holding you back is the CL at $6k. You'd need $10k.

Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Correct, you would not be eligible for the SUB. Since you are in the >5/24 bucket, then the CSR will not be approved (even if you downgrade to CS>FU/F).

Potentially, once you are <5/24 and downgrade CSP, you may qualify for the SUB (as long as you meet the SUB eligibility requirements)
Message 9 of 10
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@JakeRogue wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Correct. As long as it's been 2 years since last receiving the SUB for a Sapphire product you can apply for it again once you downgrade and wait 30-45 days for the changes to take affect. But that involves going to a Chase branch office to get preapprovals through them to override 5/24. I think if your spend fits the CSR more than you're probably better off upgrading I just wanted you to know all your options before you do anything.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.