Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Slate to Freedom?

tag
BlueHusky
Contributor

Upgrade Slate to Freedom?

I saw someone post something on another thread about upgrading a Chase Slate to a Chase Freedom. How do I do that? Is it easy to do? I've had my Slate for awhile. Do they do a HP to upgrade it?

Starting Score: 583 (CreditKarma, 2009)
Current Score: 783 (Walmart Free FICO, March 20, 2012), 774 (Equifax, BoA Pull, 2/20/13)
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade Slate to Freedom?

If you have had the Slate for atleast 1 year, you can request a PC. Not sure if its a SP or HP, but I would get a SP

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 16
Zar
Regular Contributor

I've been trying to do the same with my Slate. I have it for more than 2 years already and when I have asked a product change, they denied it. I've tried this by secured message online several times and by phone 1 time. Please tell us if it worked for you.

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
BlueHusky
Contributor

Whats a PC? How do I request it?

Starting Score: 583 (CreditKarma, 2009)
Current Score: 783 (Walmart Free FICO, March 20, 2012), 774 (Equifax, BoA Pull, 2/20/13)
Goal Score: 800+

Message 4 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

@BlueHusky wrote:

Whats a PC? How do I request it?

PC = Product Change....basically just changing the type of card you have without opening a new account for it.

How to request it....? Thats a little bit more broad of an answer...hopefully people who have done this with Chase can chime in or something... 

Message 5 of 16
daveg38
Established Contributor

Thought Slate was better than Freedom?  Hmm...must have been the Easter ham get to my brain.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 6 of 16
Topher227
Established Member

I've been working closely with Chase the past week so i've got a couple good answers:

The slate card is good if you like to hold a balance from month to month as it typically has a lower APR. The down side with the card is that there are absolutely no rewards included with it. As someone else said here, if you've had the card for over a year, you will probably be able to PC (product change) to a Freedom card. Just call and ask, if they give you a hard time, ask nicely for a supervisor. They will explain everything clearly.

Good luck with the PC!

April 2011 -- EQ: 593, EX: 603, TU: 619
April 2012 -- EQ: 699, EX: ???, TU: 714
May 2012 -- MyFico EQ: 743
July 2012 -- MyFico EQ: 760!!!
Wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: $5K CL, AMEX BCP: 1k CL, Chase Freedom: 3k CL, Sams Club Private Label: $5k CL, BofA 1-2-3: 5k CL
Sock Drawer: Cap1 Platinum, 1FBUSA
Message 7 of 16
beerdrinker
Established Member

Please keep us updated.  I've tried to unsuccessfully PC my Slate to a Freedom.  Only answer I receive is, "We do not show that option available for your account at this time."  When I press for further details they just say they go by what's on the computer.

Message 8 of 16
WhyDidntIListentoMom
Established Member

I was able to convert my Slate card to a Freedom card with no issues and no hard pull just a few days ago. When you call it sounds like they already decided what your account is authorized to change too without a hard pull. If you want something more than you are authorized to get it will most likely result in either a hard pull or a totally new app for a new card.

Either way, it was quick and painless - I did find it funny when the CS asked why I wanted to change cards and that my utilization was lower than in the past (my fun, crazy spending days of college). Lack of incentives was my response and it is true, basically I got nothing for using the card, so why bother. 

Anyways, good luck!

Starting Score: EX 594
Current Score: EX 680
Goal Score: 725

AMEX PRG - NPSL | USAirways MC - 7.4k | Wells Fargo VS - 4.7k | Chase Freedom MC - 3.5k | BML CL 2.5k | J.Crew Retail - 1.47k
Message 9 of 16
beerdrinker
Established Member

update: I was able to finally PC my Slate to a Freedom by calling the Executive Office last week.  The CSR initially told me my account did not show up in their system as approved for a PC (she refered it as "an upgrade").  I explained that my Slate was doing nothing for me since I wasn't carrying a balance and since I no longer receive miles from my Chase Debit Card I was looking to leave them.  She took my number and said she would escalate this to have someone manually review it.

Later that day she called to give me the good news that due to my excellent payment history and being a long time Chase customer they were able to "upgrade" my credit card to a Freedom and that it would be overnighted for me.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.