Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade offer from Amex PRG to Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade offer from Amex PRG to Platinum

I checked my Amex offers and they are offering an upgrade from my PRG to Platinum. I just got my first statement for the card and I’m waiting for my 25000 memebership points. I wanted to know if I upgrade will I still get my points? Will I have to pay the annual fee up front for the platinum or would I still have the first year free?

Update- I called customer service and he told me it would be a new application and I would at least have to wait a year to upgrade. I thought that was strange. I hung up went back online and the upgrade offer was gone ☹️. Oh well.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade offer from Amex PRG to Platinum

The CARD act prevents an increase in the AF during the first year.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Upgrade offer from Amex PRG to Platinum

Correct.  I was getting the same quirk on their website offering to upgrade my Delta SkyMiles Platinum Card ($195 AF) to the Delta Reserve ($450 AF) almost immediately, even though it's not possible in the first year (will be doing it in January, a few months after the 1 year mark, in hopes that there's a MQM bonus that'll help with status for 2019/2020).

Usually with Amex charge cards, it only makes sense to upgrade if you have an aged card that would be better as a Platinum, you don't mind a lower once-in-a-lifetime bonus, and/or you don't want to open a new account.  In my case, I upgraded my Green to Platinum that I'd had for well over a decade but was otherwise essentially useless.  Since your card is so new anyway, I'd certainly just wait for a 100,000 MR SUB to appear again and app for a new Platinum account.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.