Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Surpass

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade to Surpass

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I think I am going to get at least one more AMEX this coming January.

Let me know when your going to do it, if you don't live in Florida we can do it together over webcam while taking shots lol

I am not the one that draps...lol

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 21 of 34
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

I think AMEX has a strong entry level Hilton no AF card, which gets you access to discounted point redemptions with the AXON discount. In terms of a Hilton with an AF, I would go with the Citi Hilton Reserve. With that card you basically get the same rewards, but you can net a free night when spending $10,000 a year. Furhtermore it has a EMV chip, which you can use if you travel abroad. 

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 22 of 34
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

I think AMEX has a strong entry level Hilton no AF card, which gets you access to discounted point redemptions with the AXON discount. In terms of a Hilton with an AF, I would go with the Citi Hilton Reserve. With that card you basically get the same rewards, but you can net a free night when spending $10,000 a year. Furhtermore it has a EMV chip, which you can use if you travel abroad. 

+1. The best combination for most people would be the no AF Amex plus the Citi Reserve. The only exception I can see to this is if someone spends a lot of nights in US Hiltons. Then the 12 points on the surpass vs 10 on the reserve may start to add up.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 23 of 34
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@nenuco wrote:

+1. The best combination for most people would be the no AF Amex plus the Citi Reserve. The only exception I can see to this is if someone spends a lot of nights in US Hiltons. Then the 12 points on the surpass vs 10 on the reserve may start to add up.

Thanks for the advise. I was mostly just looking at the upgrade for the 50k points. I may add another hhonors card, but I think the marriott card is a bit better. Check it out from the link in my signature.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 24 of 34
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Why does Chase have all the good cards? Lol, if it were possible I would get 2 or 3 more Chase cards, their rewards/AF ratio is pretty amazing. Too bad people have to close/ shift around credit to open new cards.

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 25 of 34
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

Why does Chase have all the good cards? Lol, if it were possible I would get 2 or 3 more Chase cards, their rewards/AF ratio is pretty amazing. Too bad people have to close/ shift around credit to open new cards.

They are by far the most profitable bank in the US, so they can afford to offer great rewards. Which attracts high quality borrowers and they then become even more profitable.

Message 26 of 34
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@nenuco wrote:

They are by far the most profitable bank in the US, so they can afford to offer great rewards. Which attracts high quality borrowers and they then become even more profitable.

Chase has the most cards out there, but I'm sure Amex is still the most profitable. Since their default rates are the lowest, and Amex still has the reputation for being the best card out there, and majority of the businesses I know use Amex over anything else.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 27 of 34
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@nenuco wrote:

Chase has the most cards out there, but I'm sure Amex is still the most profitable. Since their default rates are the lowest, and Amex still has the reputation for being the best card out there, and majority of the businesses I know use Amex over anything else.

Chase is on top now. AMEX is far behind.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/12/jpmorgan-chase-earnings-q3-2012_n_1960764.html

Message 28 of 34
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Let me know when your going to do it, if you don't live in Florida we can do it together over webcam while taking shots lol

I don't either, doesn't mean we can't lol

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 29 of 34
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/creditcard/message-id/466804/tab/html

I don't either, doesn't mean we can't lol

Are you apping for an AMEX then too? Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.