Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgently Need/Want to get new credit for $50,000 to $100,000 for my TCL

tag
WP2020
Contributor

Urgently Need/Want to get new credit for $50,000 to $100,000 for my TCL

Hi, I have just lowered my utilization to 27% for just this month. $5,000 0%BT in Bofa debt will show up in 3 days and $7,500 0%BT in Citi will show up in 16 days. My scores jumped 24 points since its under 30% util. this month. My TODAY scores show as EXP 740 and Transunion 746, dont know EQ but should be around the same. The scores will drop 20 to 25 points again if I dont increase my Total Credit Lines. I have today showing $21,000 in debt and $77,000 TCL. I see it as a GREAT opportunity to get $50,000 to $100,000 for my TCL so I can maintain de under 30% util. and the scores wont drop much.

PLEASE, any and all suggestions are welcomed as its urgent. IM willing to leave my 5 year gardening for this and want to do it as best as possible. These are my known options, please advice...

1. Amex - Currently preapproved for ALL their cards. This is a SP as I understand it and almost 100% I should take. I was thinking the Magnet for the 15 months apr but really just need the highest CL. My only Amex is at $9800 CL today.

2. Citi - Have 2 cards with $12000 and $8600 CL, I just got a marketing $15,000 loan offer yesterday. Been with them for 25 years so I amagine they would approve me for cards but not sure of highor low  limits. Was thinking any of their BT cards though I just did a BT with them last month.

3. Chase - I have the CSP, Freedom and the Freedom Unlimites aswell. They balance chased me 4 years ago so my limits were lowered ALOT to $7000, $2,000 and $2,000. All 3 cards are showing me 0%BT till 11/2022 which I would love to take BUT it lets me just on my available balance of course, which combined is just $6500. Will Chase give me CLI to take advantage of their 0%BT offers? Would they raise my CLI on my 3 cards if I take just one HP? Would you just app on a new Chase card? Im 0/24 of course.

4. Discover - I have a good relation with them but I owe $9400 out of an $11500 CL cause of an old BT I took with them.

5. Any SP suggestions?

6. Any solid HP suggestions? 

7. I was also thinking of joining Credit Unions that double dip as I heard Andrews, DCU, First Tech, NIH etc just not sure if it will take too long to join and then app aswell.

Gardening for 4 years!!! 
Until 2016 – Fico8 805
2017 – Fico8 579
2020 - Fico 8 - EQ 706 TU 708 EX 714
100% payment history in 24 years.
No other Loans of any kind nor negative remarks.

Current Cards:
Discover $11400/$11500 (BT)
Bofa $9500/$11000 (BT)
Chase SP $6000/$7000
Citi Credit Line $4,000/$6000
Chase Slate $1100/$2000
Chase Freedom $1900/$2000
Amex Delta $0/4800
Citi Thank You- $0/$10000
Citi Simplicity $0/6500
Citi Overdraft $0$6000
Message 1 of 92
91 REPLIES 91
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Urgently Need/Want to get new credit for $50,000 to $100,000 for my TCL

@WP2020 wrote:

Hi, I have just lowered my utilization to 27% for just this month. $5,000 0%BT in Bofa debt will show up in 3 days and $7,500 0%BT in Citi will show up in 16 days. My scores jumped 24 points since its under 30% util. this month. My TODAY scores show as EXP 740 and Transunion 746, dont know EQ but should be around the same. The scores will drop 20 to 25 points again if I dont increase my Total Credit Lines. I have today showing $21,000 in debt and $77,000 TCL. I see it as a GREAT opportunity to get $50,000 to $100,000 for my TCL so I can maintain de under 30% util. and the scores wont drop much.

PLEASE, any and all suggestions are welcomed as its urgent. IM willing to leave my 5 year gardening for this and want to do it as best as possible. These are my known options, please advice...

1. Amex - Currently preapproved for ALL their cards. This is a SP as I understand it and almost 100% I should take. I was thinking the Magnet for the 15 months apr but really just need the highest CL. My only Amex is at $9800 CL today.

2. Citi - Have 2 cards with $12000 and $8600 CL, I just got a marketing $15,000 loan offer yesterday. Been with them for 25 years so I amagine they would approve me for cards but not sure of highor low  limits. Was thinking any of their BT cards though I just did a BT with them last month.

3. Chase - I have the CSP, Freedom and the Freedom Unlimites aswell. They balance chased me 4 years ago so my limits were lowered ALOT to $7000, $2,000 and $2,000. All 3 cards are showing me 0%BT till 11/2022 which I would love to take BUT it lets me just on my available balance of course, which combined is just $6500. Will Chase give me CLI to take advantage of their 0%BT offers? Would they raise my CLI on my 3 cards if I take just one HP? Would you just app on a new Chase card? Im 0/24 of course.

4. Discover - I have a good relation with them but I owe $9400 out of an $11500 CL cause of an old BT I took with them.

5. Any SP suggestions?

6. Any solid HP suggestions? 

7. I was also thinking of joining Credit Unions that double dip as I heard Andrews, DCU, First Tech, NIH etc just not sure if it will take too long to join and then app aswell.

I can understand the sense of urgency, but even if you're approved for anything, any tangible results for new reporting lines will not likely happen for another 30-60 days (depending on the lender + CRA).

If you have the income to back it up, you can certainly try First Tech, but with your current utilization, not sure many of the ones you've suggested will open their purse strings that much.  NFCU might be an option, if eligible.  There's BECU as an alternative (if you can pass their grueling verification process).

AmEx can potentially yield some fruit (as far as a new account goes) and you can try a SP CLI on your existing card if you haven't had one in a while.

As far as Chase goes, no  -- they will not automatically raise your limit with the expecation of a BT.  Bottom line, don't expect a CLI unless you take a HP for each card (very rarely do they combine HPs) and it's doubtful they may raise them considerably given what you've shared.  This will be up to you to decide.

Just to confirm the math, utilization-wise, will your aggregate debt be around ~$33K once everything starts reporting including BOA and Citi?

Message 2 of 92
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Urgently Need/Want to get new credit for $50,000 to $100,000 for my TCL

i think $50-$100k may be a stretch, but you will know more as you start applying

i think you start with the 1st BT card you want - if approved, try for another - if the SL is low on the second, then you may want to stop for another 6 months

no point in getting all those hits for HP / new accounts if they are going to be low SL

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WP2020 wrote:

Questions...

1. Should I app spree now that I have much better scores to get $50,000 to  $100,000 in new cards so my total $34,000 debt stays under 30% utilization? 

I think you could see some good results from an App spree, just be aware if you are applying to any lenders that get spooked by opening multiple new accounts. I'm looking at you Chase Smiley Frustrated

2. Should I just get a 0% BT card or 2 to get the rest of my $16,000 at 11% down to 0%

I always support paying as little interest as possible. I would look at some BT cards. I have been receiving offers from BoA for up to 18 months of 0% on BTs, may be a good option for you. FNBO Evergreen card is 12 months of 0% on bt and a 2% cash back card, so it is actually useful after the BT ends. FNBO also offers prequalification, but it isn't proven to b 100% reliable.

3. I REALLY want to take advantage of this current 27% utilization. Whats the best way to do that?

Now might be a good time to apply for any rewards cards you have had your eye on, also a good time to refinance any high interest debt you have.

4. I would also LOVE to get as much PLOC´as possible while remaining under 30% util. Or if I need to go over it, I dont mind. For example taka a $25,000 loan, but would want to cushion and raise my overall credit by as much as $50,000 to $100,000.

I don't have much experience with PLOCs, so no comment here.

5. Sould I then be looking for CU´s that double dip and will give credit cards and PLOC´s?

Absolutely. I would just caution applying for a card just because you can double dip, make sure it is a card that provides benefits that are actually helpful for you.

I would love to hear ANY and ALL suggestions, thanks in advance.

Good job on getting utilization down!  I made some recommendations above. And good luck with your applications!

Message 4 of 92
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

With 27% util, you're gonna have a hard time getting that much credit extended to you.  Not to mention the HPs will work against you.  Sorry, but lower scores are almost certainly an inevitable consequence of taking on that much more card debt.

What's driving the urgency to keep those scores?

Message 5 of 92
Aim_High
Super Contributor

A few details seem to be missing for us to help, @WP2020.  Your signature is puzzling to me and almost contradictory.

Until 2016 – Fico8 805
2017 – Fico8 579

What happened in 2017 to drop your scores if you have no late payments or derogatory remarks?  If it was credit-seeking and you've been gardening for 5 years, the scores would have rebounded to previous levels.   Has utilization been perpetually high for almost five years?  Did you have some accounts closed or balance-chased by other than the Chase limits you mentioned? 

I agree with above remarks from @FinStar and @MrDisco99.  

For one, with debts reporting at $21K and not being paid down quickly, and unless income or assets are very high, the odds of any lender opening up the vault doors for you seems unlikely.  While you may get approvals, the limits will be tempered by that debt, and debt-to-income ratios.   Lenders don't care that you're on a 0% BT offer or that you have a "plan" to pay it off.  To them, debt is debt.   And if you've been carrying heavier debt for most or all of that five years, the balances will show up on credit reports and may raise concern about your ability to pay.   

Yes, I agree that either AMEX or the credit unions you mentioned might be more likely to approve since you've got BTs and a history with other large national lenders.  Besides the ones you mentioned, I might suggest Navy Federal.  But a first card with them is probably not going to get you want you're looking for;  you'll most likely need a second card and some history to reach the higher credit limits.

IMO, figuring out the best way to quickly and most economically pay down that debt is a more important investment of time and effort rather than a concern over a short-term FICO drop for utilization rates.  While you've been gardening for five years (which ordinarily would be a "GREAT" time to seek new accounts), I think the debt/BT/utilization issue hampers any realistic expectation of new $50K+ credit limits.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 6 of 92
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

With 27% util, you're gonna have a hard time getting that much credit extended to you.  Not to mention the HPs will work against you.  Sorry, but lower scores are almost certainly an inevitable consequence of taking on that much more card debt.

What's driving the urgency to keep those scores?

+ 100

In a couple weeks you will have 52% overall Util.

6 cards with between 55% & 99%.

You do not need any new cards !

Be happy you are saving money with BT's and keep paying off debt.

Message 7 of 92
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Aim_High wrote:

A few details seem to be missing for us to help, @WP2020.  Your signature is puzzling to me and almost contradictory.

Until 2016 – Fico8 805
2017 – Fico8 579

The OP appears to have created two threads (one from 9/2020, which has been locked) and this one to address the potential [TCL] applications.

For reference, the link below provides some background:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Advice-needed-on-0-apr-Apps-Bye-4yr-Gardening/m-p/...

Message 8 of 92
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

@RSX wrote:

i think $50-$100k may be a stretch, but you will know more as you start applying

i think you start with the 1st BT card you want - if approved, try for another - if the SL is low on the second, then you may want to stop for another 6 months

no point in getting all those hits for HP / new accounts if they are going to be low SL

Low limits don't always correlate with when you should stop. Some banks are just stingy.

Message 9 of 92
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

@RSX wrote:

Low limits don't always correlate with when you should stop. Some banks are just stingy.

True but the flip side of it is that the site has over time accumulated enough data points to give some sense of guidance which of the larger issuers tend to be stingy (like Citi) vs generous (like NFCU) with starting limits vs. starting off a bit stingy but can grow well with the right history and profile (like BoA).

Regardless, if even stingy banks are giving you toy limits it's probably a clear sign that taking a break is a good idea.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.