cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usaa Classic graduation (update: closed card)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usaa Classic graduation (update: closed card)

There was a post from Saleen in 2015 that their card graduated. 

Being i I was just approved for a regular card, my EQ 04 is 693? And my Classic's first birthday is August, I called the CSR.  I was directed to apply for a card. Continuously. It was reiterated that the classic, and I quote "Never graduates. You have to apply for a new card. Would you like to apply for one now?"

August $35 due for a classic card. It's not my oldest. I have 2 others the same age. Do I shut down or shell out $35 for another year?  AAoA is strong. Overall UTL is strong.

Classic:  24% $2000 No BT No Cash advance. 

Best,

Bu Yao

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: Usaa Classic graduation

Booooooo... It says right on their site that they may upgrade the classic to a premium card version with good behavior. I know you've been on your best, so they should have said yes!

Even on the mobile site it says right under the words classic card, "Eligible for upgrade after credit has improved."

I say call back in mid July and try again.

Grumpy Gib is Grumpy now.
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Won't graduate!?  Wow... that does indeed pull full vacuum.  Smiley Mad

Bu Yao, this one is tough... but I can at least contribute this:  I was approved for my USAA Visa rewards card in late 2014 with a score lower than yours, and they gave me a SL of $7k.  The APR isn't the greatest (then 16.9%, now 17.15%) but it's a bit better than what you have now, and the card can be used for cash advances (ironically, that it's main use for me - the cash advances are no-fee if to a USAA checking account).  I also keep it around for overdraft protection... I've never needed it, but it's like my 'security blanket' when things get tight.

I'm not sure what I would do if I were in your exact shoes regarding the new account, but for certain I would try at least one more time to see about getting it upgraded, or at a minimum get the fee waived (if they will do that - I don't recall reading one way or another).

Please let us know how it turns out either way... I'm rooting for you!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gib, Thanks Uncle B.

i will call again end of July. Good idea.

Choice is pay $35 and let it ride for 23 months...or be proactive and cut it in July's phone call. 

Ive got a month to stew. Thank you both for your insite, I appreciate! 

Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

UncB's suggestion is a good one imho. The outcome may be different and possibly keep you from thinking about doing something you may not really want to do.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried again this Tuesday.  Nada.  So I closed it today.

RIP CLASSIC AMEX 8/15 - 8/16.image.jpeg

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.