Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Amex BCE to pay tuition?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Use Amex BCE to pay tuition?

I have a tuition bill due in a few weeks. I was going to just pay from checking. However, I would like to pay w my BCE, which has a high enough cl. I would prob charge and pay it before Amex would even be able to report it on my CR.
does Amex frown on this? I dont think there are any fees that my school charges, and i'd get 1% back on it lol
Any one have experience? I certainly dont need to get myself a FR.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Use Amex BCE to pay tuition?

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I have a tuition bill due in a few weeks. I was going to just pay from checking. However, I would like to pay w my BCE, which has a high enough cl. I would prob charge and pay it before Amex would even be able to report it on my CR.
does Amex frown on this? I dont think there are any fees that my school charges, and i'd get 1% back on it lol
Any one have experience? I certainly dont need to get myself a FR.

Don't see why, it's nothing funky, just a normal purchase.

Just confirm that the school really doesn't charge fees for credit card use (or particularly Amex use) and get the 1% off  (is that your best reward though?).  Wish my daughters institution accepted credit cards!

Message 2 of 15
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

^ +1
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 3 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well... I didnt see anywhere that they charge a fee when I went to the school's site to pretend I was going to make a payment lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Exactly. I've had to charge tuition for my kids on my Amex.

So glad that's over! Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Were you scared of FR lex?
Message 6 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Nothing to worry about. You can even let the balance report to show usage and pay it off right after that.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 15
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Not sure why they would FR over tuition payment.  You should be just fine.

Message 9 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Well... I didnt see anywhere that they charge a fee when I went to the school's site to pretend I was going to make a payment lol

That's good.  No credit cards accepted at all at my daughter's school, just check, ACH, or installment plan via ACH (for which they charge $75 instead of interest).  Since the fee is ~ $60K per child per year, even a 1% rebate would be great!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.