Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Credit Cards in public instead of using a Debit Card

tag
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using Credit Cards in public instead of using a Debit Card

And don't forget, CREDIT cards are a key component (hopefully positive!) of one's Credit Report/Score!   

Since the use of DEBIT cards (using your own money) has absolutely no bearing on one's credit (no money is being borrowed) they, of course, makes zero contribution to your credit history . . . !

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 21 of 45
enharu
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

I'm going to risk sounding like a bit of an idiot here, but there are banks that force you to wait until the investigation is over instead of a provisional credit?

Every time this has happened to me (only a few thankfully), I've always received a provisional credit while they looked into it.

I only had this type of problem happen once to my Citi debit card, and Citi issued me provisional credit within a couple days.

My ex-roommate (apartment-mate, to be exact) during my college days on the other hand ran into all kinds of problems when her Wells Fargo account got compromised. It happened 5-6 years ago, so maybe things are different now. Maybe it had to do with her account type, or maybe it's because of the dollar amount of the fradulent charge itself, but they basically just couldn't issue her any form of provisional credit until the investigation was concluded. It didn't exactly cause a lot of problems for her since most of her deposits are with Bank of America, but it's definitely an unpleasant experience.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 22 of 45
yejun
Established Member

I was looking for a hair salon in san francisco. One in downtown area only accept credit card but not debit card with visa/master logo. Not sure the reason though, I have seen grocery shop only accept debit card.

Message 23 of 45
enharu
Super Contributor

@yejun wrote:

I was looking for a hair salon in san francisco. One in downtown area only accept credit card but not debit card with visa/master logo. Not sure the reason though, I have seen grocery shop only accept debit card.

Costco does the same thing if you're using a Visa / MC / Discover. They accept cash, debit, or Amex.

Reason why some places allow debit transactions only is because the fees are a lot lower compared to CC swipe fees.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 45
yejun
Established Member

I understand only accept debit. But I saw one salon on its website, it clearly says only credit card not debit with visa/master logo.

Message 25 of 45
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I use my CC for everything because of rewards and extended protection my credit card offers.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 26 of 45
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Both are relatively safe at this point. Banks protect their customers from fraudulant transactions on their debit cards.  I lost my debit card once on a bus in Chicago and it got stolen and charged up and the bank gave me the money which was stolen back in a prompt fashion. The amount of spending I do is low so I don't get much in rewards when I just use credit cards. Also,, for me using credit cards increases the risk that I will go into debt so I mostly use my bank card. I feel it is safer in the long run for me because when I use a credit card I sometimes don't want to pay the bill so I let it go and could end up back in debt. To the person who was saying that "smart people don't use debit cards" I say that is untrue. I know myself and I prefer to use my own money and not borrow money from others because I know myself and know that I have been in a lot of trouble in the past with credit cards and I don't want to end up in debt again. Does that make me not financially savy or something? I don''t thinks so,

Message 27 of 45
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

People who prefer making money and are generally more financially knowledgeable don't use debit.  When I first got my USAA debit card, it did offer rewards, but USAA cancelled that a few years ago.  I don't know of any debit cards that earn rewards anymore.  So, of course, everyone uses credit now.  Using debit when you have rewards cards is not smart.  I think most people have this kind of common sense, which is why I don't actually know anybody who uses a debit card.  Wouldn't you rather earn extra money just for living and doing your normal everyday spending?

Do you know anyone who doesn't prefer making money? Do you mean there are some who prefer to give their money away? If so steer them my way. I can use some money Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 45
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@xgac12x wrote:

I've heard that some people don't use a debit card to pay for things, they use a credit card instead. They say that they don't "trust" using their debit card?

I have a basic idea on why they dont use their debit card, but I would really like to learn about some of the dangers of using a debit card

Thanks.

I don't trust using mine either. Too much risk of fraud and its a killer waiting for the bank to fix it. A CC on the other hand is alot easier.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 29 of 45
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I ONLY use CC's.

Haven't seen my Debit card in 6 months or so now.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.