Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Hilton Honors cards at restaurants/supermarkets

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Using Hilton Honors cards at restaurants/supermarkets

As August approaches and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Hilton Honors card, I do have a question or two regarding the points for restaurants and supermarkets. To give you all a few backgrounds on my reasons for this card and spending habits, I've been wanting this card for well over a year now. I do stay at a Hilton hotel at least two weekends a year when I travel for bowling tournaments (not a huge traveler but I like them and Holiday Inn). Out of the main categories for rewards, dining/restaurants and gas is what I spend the most money on monthly outside of the usual payments on utilities and mortgage. I don't go to grocery stores very often and it's usually just to spend about $60/month on food since my wife does most of the grocery shopping. This is one of the only hotel cards that I think I would truly utiize to make it my possible main card. Plus, this would help me close a few cards that I no longer need/use since I'm condensing my wallet abit. So here are the questions I have: 

1. Does restaurants include fast food? (I assume it does but wanted to make sure).

2. Does the 5x rewards include bars and bakery stores? (I didn't see anything under the terms and conditions for it unless I missed it). 

3. For the supermarkets, is Walmart not included for the 5x rewards? (I do my grocery shopping at Meijers, meat stores and on occasion at  Fresh Tymes. I only trek to Walmart for their deli, pop or snacks).

Keep in mind that my scores in my sig is higher than what is shown; I just haven't updated it lately. But, I will definitely apply in August when my scores update. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using Hilton Honors cards at restaurants/supermarkets

These are in relation to how my Gold card codes:
1. Fast food counts as restaurant spending
2. In my experience, bars have always coded at 4X for me, even if they do not serve food.
3. Walmart will not code as supermarket. Even coding for Walmart Neighborhoods are spotty. Meijers again is weird. I have heard people will get it coded but others will not. Thyme will code as supermarket though.

The Hilton Honors card is a great card. Im looking to dig in after I burn my last 5/24 slot as I’m a hefty Hilton user. Have you thought about the Surpass card? If you have the organic spend for it, the SUB right now is very nice. But the NAF Hilton I think is still a great card overall.
Message 2 of 6
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
These are in relation to how my Gold card codes:
1. Fast food counts as restaurant spending
2. In my experience, bars have always coded at 4X for me, even if they do not serve food.
3. Walmart will not code as supermarket. Even coding for Walmart Neighborhoods are spotty. Meijers again is weird. I have heard people will get it coded but others will not. Thyme will code as supermarket though.

The Hilton Honors card is a great card. Im looking to dig in after I burn my last 5/24 slot as I’m a hefty Hilton user. Have you thought about the Surpass card? If you have the organic spend for it, the SUB right now is very nice. But the NAF Hilton I think is still a great card overall.

I have looked at the Surpass before Amex did the name change but I'm trying to stick with a no AF card. I'm not worried much about the SUB becuase I doubt I'll be able to spend $2K or even $4K in the next three months unless something big comes up. But I'm glad that Fresh Thyme will count as a supermarket. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 3 of 6
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

I’ve used my AmEx BCP at Meijer and it always yields the 6% supermarket bonus. Meijer Gas, however, doesn’t yield 3%, and I assume that’s because it’s not a standalone gas station

189ABA3D-A3FA-4927-932D-B292E71D6A6E.jpeg

Message 4 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP if you don't think you will spend $2k in the next three months, I'd hold off on applying for the Hilton card. That bonus (currently 90,000 Hilton points) is a one-time thing, so in my opinion if a SUB is available, one should always go for it.

If your wife goes to the grocery the most often, then part of your new card strategy should ask her to help out, to run spend through your new card to get to the $2k.

The base earnings of 3 Hilton points isn't far off from the 5 points for gas, grocery, and dining, so if you plan to accumulate Hilton points, it's a good card to have.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 6
Matt9543
Established Contributor

I interestingly got a mailer in from Amex and the Hilton Credit Card for 100,000 Hilton Honors points with only $1,000 spend in the first 3 months, which seems like it's a way better deal than the current 90,000 points for $2,000 spend in the first three months. Not sure if I need the card right now just wanted to mention that this offer does exist and it's out there, looks like it's targeted though.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.