Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Plat even after PC to green?

tag
ohnomyfigo
Contributor

Using Plat even after PC to green?

I just product changed my Platinum down to a Green. They said I could keep using the platinum card as my green card until I received my green in the mail and activated it. Could I just never activate my green card and keep using the platinum card as the green or does it automatically deactivate after a certain period of time?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Using Plat even after PC to green?

@ohnomyfigo wrote:

I just product changed my Platinum down to a Green. They said I could keep using the platinum card as my green card until I received my green in the mail and activated it. Could I just never activate my green card and keep using the platinum card as the green or does it automatically deactivate after a certain period of time?

It will eventually deactivate.  You need to activate the Green when you receive it unless you want to encounter a disruption with using the account.

Message 2 of 15
ohnomyfigo
Contributor

Thanks. Any expeience how long until it deactivates automatically? One month, four months..

Message 3 of 15
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Sounds like you were reluctant to downgrade and now you don’t want to let go.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't tell you when it deactivates, but it wouldn't get you 5x points on plane tickets and I wouldn't want to risk using it for lounge access.

Also, I wouldn't want to find out it's been deactivated by having it declined.

Message 5 of 15
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I’ve never activated a single American Express card. I didn’t even know they came with activations per se, I know they have a confirm your card but I never do that either. 

I always have them then add new accounts to my online profile before the card even shows up and never do anything when it comes. I’ve been using these “unactivated” cards for over a year now with no issues.

I’ve never product changed an Amex card though, but if the card number doesn’t change its certainly possible.

been using a old sapphire preferred card with a different CVV then my fiancée’s PC’d to CSR. No issues and it’s been 6 months now. 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:

My take was OP somehow finds it useful to use something that appears to be a Plat card.   Maybe some people are impressed!  (Whether such people are worth impressing is an exercise left to the reader)

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Jaylima91 wrote:

My take was OP somehow finds it useful to use something that appears to be a Plat card.   Maybe some people are impressed!  (Whether such people are worth impressing is an exercise left to the reader)

Hey, I kept a non-functional CSP in my wallet too, and I don't even use it. It just nice to look at, for myself.

Message 8 of 15
ohnomyfigo
Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I'll be on a sailboat until october so it's a little tricky getting mail. I'd like to use it from time to time until I get home but it's not really a big deal or the only card I have. I have a few new cards waiting for me at home as well. 

Message 9 of 15
ohnomyfigo
Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:

Okay. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.