cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using amex via plastiq to pay student loans?

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Using amex via plastiq to pay student loans?

I think at one point there was something where you could not pay student loans with an amex card  via plastiq. Is that still the case? The last time I did it was this past December and with the current 1.5% fee offer I'd rather use my amex card to pay the student loan. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Using amex via plastiq to pay student loans?

Posted on here was from DOC website.   Might help you.  Looks like know on Amex for SL's

Message 2 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Ah, very handy, saved for future reference. Thanks @CreditCuriosity !

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, it does say yes for Rent. May have to look into this.

If for some reason Amex decides to decline the transaction, what happenes then? Does Plastiq still charge any fees? Also, would the prop management who you pay rent to consider it as returned payment thus charge a fee?

Message 4 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting, it does say yes for Rent. May have to look into this.

If for some reason Amex decides to decline the transaction, what happenes then? Does Plastiq still charge any fees? Also, would the prop management who you pay rent to consider it as returned payment thus charge a fee?

Plastiq adds their fee into the charge amount, so if Amex declines the transaction no fee is processed. And if Amex declines the transaction no payment is sent, so no returned payment for the prop managemen to charge a fee on. But Amex is highly unlikely to decline a transaction, Plastiq is an approved Amex merchant and Plastiq likely negotiated directly with Amex for what transactions will be allowed and adheres to that strictly.

I normally use my PayPal 2% Cashback MC for all Plastiq payments and Mastercard is pretty much allowed for any payment, including paying my local credit union credit card***. I recently added my Amex BCP and when I tried to pay my CU a popup said I couldn't use Amex for that, so Plastiq has it setup well for what card type can be used for what type of payment.

*** Paying a credit card with another credit card is usually a pretty bad idea. I rarely use that CU CC as no rewards but low APR, so every few months I transfer a small amount to my checking with no cash advance fee and then quickly pay it through Plastiq, I do that just to keep it active.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah okay, thanks for the DP's. When it comes to apps and electronic payment, it's all greek to me. I can link bank accounts to each other and to CC for payment, but that's about it. 

When i signed up for plastic, they asked for their banking info like routing numbers, Which I didn't know. I just assumed by their brief description you only needed the name of the company. So i'll have to investigate further with that. 

Message 6 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah okay, thanks for the DP's. When it comes to apps and electronic payment, it's all greek to me. I can link bank accounts to each other and to CC for payment, but that's about it. 

When i signed up for plastic, they asked for their banking info like routing numbers, Which I didn't know. I just assumed by their brief description you only needed the name of the company. So i'll have to investigate further with that. 

They ask for banking info for electronic payments, for rent select "Paper Check" as the payment method and all you need is their mailing address. Also for checks there's a field you can use to put things like account number to identify who the payment is from, because the check says "Plastiq" in the name & address. For rent your name & apartment number should work, if you property management company manages multiple properties you should put in your street address & unit #.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.