cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using as an 'everyday' card best practices?

tag
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using as an 'everyday' card best practices?

I've gotten that "3-day" message also if I tried to pay a second time wthin three days. But a few weeks ago I see that they might have gotten rid of it because I was able to make another payment the next day.

I like to pay my freedom card about once a week if I have a balance. But this is due to me being more financially sensible lately. I used to carrry a balance for months at a time and I think Chase wasn't too happy with that because they denied my recent CLI request which was shocking to me. Had the card for 6 years and never requested an increase.... Smiley Frustrated

Hope you like your card!

Message 11 of 21
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Glkslngr wrote:

I've gotten that "3-day" message also if I tried to pay a second time wthin three days. But a few weeks ago I see that they might have gotten rid of it because I was able to make another payment the next day.

I like to pay my freedom card about once a week if I have a balance. But this is due to me being more financially sensible lately. I used to carrry a balance for months at a time and I think Chase wasn't too happy with that because they denied my recent CLI request which was shocking to me. Had the card for 6 years and never requested an increase.... Smiley Frustrated

Hope you like your card!

just an reminder if you still have 3 day message thing, you can try pushing your bill pay thru your banks bill pay instead of going through website. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 21
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

You are all awesome!

Thanks for the advice. I'll defintiely keep you posted on how this strategy works out for CLI and my CR in the future.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rebzer wrote:

Hi all!

I've recently been approved for a Chase Freedom card with a $500 CL. I want to really build this card up to start a great relationship with Chase and prove my credit worthiness to them for a better CLI in the future.

The card came two days ago and I have been and plan to use this card as my everyday card for all normal purchases I would normally use my debit card for (I also bank with chase). What is the best way to pay off this card with high usage like that? Wait until statements post? Pay off weekly? Every two weeks? I want the best for my CR of course.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

CONGRATS!!! Smiley Happy We sound so much alike and Thank You for this post, the replies you have gotten will surely help me & others out as well!!! Good Luck!!!

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SevenNEW wrote:

@SomeGuyNamedFred wrote:

Hi I started with a chase freedom with a $500 limit.  The more $$ you can run through it the better.  Just pay off the card as many times as needed each month to ensure you don't go over the limit.  Keep in mind chase makes you wait at least three days between payments.  Also, before the statement cuts pay it down so that it's less than 10% of the limit.  That way when it reports to the CRAs your score won't crash due to high utilization.  You'll probably receive an auto cli in about 3- 6 mos.   I got a $300 limit increase when the 4th statement cut.  After the 6th statment I called and asked for an increase to 5K and was approved.   Good luck!

+1. These are the most important things you want to do. Congratulations!

Thank You both for these replies & advice!!! This is something I already do BUT it's nice to know that it will also help with Chase!!! It's funny how each CC issuer has their own preferences and to try, remember, & keep up with how to handle each one...!?! LOL!!! Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

I recieved an auto CLI from $500 to 1k right after my 2nd statement. Here is my Usage/Util on those 2 statements. I used the card for small purchases and paid it down to 5% whenever the balance reached 30%. (3 payments in may)

Keep us posted on yours? GL Smiley Happy

This is GOLD!!! Thank You!!! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SevenNEW wrote:

@SomeGuyNamedFred wrote:

Hi I started with a chase freedom with a $500 limit.  The more $$ you can run through it the better.  Just pay off the card as many times as needed each month to ensure you don't go over the limit.  Keep in mind chase makes you wait at least three days between payments.  Also, before the statement cuts pay it down so that it's less than 10% of the limit.  That way when it reports to the CRAs your score won't crash due to high utilization.  You'll probably receive an auto cli in about 3- 6 mos.   I got a $300 limit increase when the 4th statement cut.  After the 6th statment I called and asked for an increase to 5K and was approved.   Good luck!

+1. These are the most important things you want to do. Congratulations!

Thank You both for these replies & advice!!! This is something I already do BUT it's nice to know that it will also help with Chase!!! It's funny how each CC issuer has their own preferences and to try, remember, & keep up with how to handle each one...!?! LOL!!! Smiley Wink

Well, these should help with every issuer to a large extent, an issuer wants to see you use the card a lot, and paying before statement cut will decrease reported utilization, probably improving your score.

But remember that each CLI decision (auto or otherwise) is based on the individual's records and factors that we cannot know, so there is no surefire way of saying "This will get you a CLI".  

Message 17 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

Far and away, the most important thing is to pay one's bills on time.  Do this unerringly and without fail, all else will fall into place.

Other factors that may contribute are the myriad of data points and information gathered by modern mining technologies.  These include but are not necessarily limited to a transaction score, risk score, profitability score, bankruptcy score, fraud score and likely many more the issuers will never share with us.

Message 18 of 21
FlawlessShineAutoSpa
Established Contributor

rebzer- Congratulations on your approval for your Chase Feedom.... I was wondering how did u go about showing your various cards on your signature? Continue your Success in The World of Credit Cards!

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $2000 •• Cap1 Venture One $10K
Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $1500 •• Chase Freedom Visa $3500
Cap 1 Quicksilver Visa $5000 •• Cap 1 Quicksilver Mastecard $2000
Syncrhrony $1500 •• Citi Double Cash $1700 •• Cap1 Spark Classic $2000
Credit One Visa $500

Message 19 of 21
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@FlawlessShineAutoSpa wrote:

rebzer- Congratulations on your approval for your Chase Feedom.... I was wondering how did u go about showing your various cards on your signature? Continue your Success in The World of Credit Cards!

Take a look at this thread http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/THIS-IS-HOW-YOU-ADD-CREDIT-CARD-PICS-TO-YOUR-PROFILE/td...

PM'd ya also just in case.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.