cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit card purchase protection for hospital bill?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using credit card purchase protection for hospital bill?

Can you use purchase protection on hospital bills with any cards?

Here is the story.

So I got this chick pregnant by mistake, didn’t want to be just a “babies daddy” so I went ahead and married her plus added her to my insurance.

I know I’m going to get raked over the coals for how stupid that was, could have just stayed apart and let her use medicaid and wic- dumb move on my part and lesson learned.

Anyway I’m not really sure the baby is mine, we met on tinder and I’m sure she gets around allot prior to us, so when I pay the hospital bill I was thinking of using a credit card with purchase protection, then after the baby is born getting a test and if it’s not mine I can get a possible refund with the credit card if the hopsital doesn’t.

As far as the marriage goes it’s new and I can get an annulment, but it’s been more then 90 days since the wedding so I can’t get a refund for anything.

Anyone else been through this?

Any other ideas?
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Using credit card purchase protection for hospital bill?

This will be a good laugh 😂😂😂

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 25
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I think the best bet would be to take up the issue of medical bills in court... That’s probably a better venue

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 25
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

You need to check your card policy on what is, and isn't covered. Generally, purchase protection is intended for lost, damaged or stolen items, and a hospital visit is none of these. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, purchase protection will not cover your specific situation, unfortunately.
Message 5 of 25
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

You're joking right? Worrying about getting a refund from the hospital using your credit card will be the least of your problems. Also, purchase protection is not for civil matters such as that, youd need to go through the courts. This isnt the hospitals problem, its yours. They rendered a service and you paid for it, case closed. Dad or not, its over and done with. 

Now being on the hook for child support for 18 years, thats your REAL problem. Its actually one of the only "debts" you can go to jail for not paying (failure to pay child support). 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess purchase protection is the wrong morning when I really mean this “return protection “

Visa even states “ dissatisfied”

“Use your Visa Infinite card for your purchase and you get extra return protection anytime you make an eligible purchase of an item up to $300. If within 90 days you become dissatisfied with your purchase and the merchant will not accept your return, then Return Protection is there to help. Available to all Visa Infinite cardholders. It may also be available on other card products, call your issuer to see if you have this benefit.”

I.e. Amex

“If you try to return an eligible item within 90 days from the date of purchase and the merchant won't take it back, American Express may refund the full purchase price (excluding shipping and handling), up to $300 per item, up to a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year per Card account, if you purchased it entirely with your eligible American Express® Card. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.”

But I’m going to need more than $300 for this so I was thinking of splitting the bill between different cards, I have a bunch.
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Strogen wrote:

You're joking right? Worrying about getting a refund from the hospital using your credit card will be the least of your problems. Also, purchase protection is not for civil matters such as that, youd need to go through the courts. This isnt the hospitals problem, its yours. They rendered a service and you paid for it, case closed. Dad or not, its over and done with. 

Now being on the hook for child support for 18 years, thats your REAL problem. Its actually one of the only "debts" you can go to jail for not paying (failure to pay child support). 

Child support won’t be an issue - if it’s not mine I won’t have to pay that, if it is mine I’ll stay married and never pay anyway.

Message 8 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, that's not the intent of Return Protection. It's not like once the child is born, and whether yours or not, it simply can't be placed back in the womb due to a "dissatisfaction" of the outcome.
Message 9 of 25
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Best post of the daySmiley LOL

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.