cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit card purchase protection for hospital bill?

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Using credit card purchase protection for hospital bill?

@Anonymous wrote:
Master card also says “ dissatisfied”

“Satisfaction guarantee

If you become dissatisfied with a product you purchase using your eligible Mastercard within 60 days of purchase, and the store will not accept a return, you may be eligible for a refund for the cost of the product up to $250.”

Welp, my kids and for that matter my wife of 40 years are now considered a "Product" - can't wait to tell them I am dissatisfied because they sure are a pain at times (you think there will be a recall?). 

Sorry to be sarcastic, it's just your creative thinking cracks me up.  

Message 21 of 25
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:
OP, the best course of action is to seek legal counsel regarding your particular situation.

You're welcome to contact your lending institution to determine what is covered and what isn't based on the notion of what truly is "dissatisfaction" in their return protection policy.

While your suggested methods associated with CCs purchase/return protection may seem creative at best regarding any paternity outcome (and subsequent hospital bills), a legal expert would be more suitable or the best resource to provide you direction with your situation.

I get what you mean , but I don’t want to make big thing out of it and pay a lawyer, especially if it ends up being mine anyway, I just want to play it safe and use protection just in case.

also pretty sure discovers policy will work.

How Return Guarantee Works

This program allows cardholders to return eligible Discover card purchases for a refund when the store will not accept a return. The policy covers each item for up to 90 days after purchase, with a limit of $500 per item, and an annual maximum of $2,500 per account. This benefit is available to all Discover cardholders when the purchase was made on a Discover card.

Most types of purchases are covered, however there are some exclusions. Among them: products for commercial use, services, digital downloads, used items, consumables and motorized vehicles. In addition, products that are not in working order are excluded. Be sure to log in to your Discover card account to view all of the types of purchases that are excluded, as well as the complete terms and conditions of this policy.”

Did you not read what you posted? It CLEARY says they dont cover "SERVICES". You are not purchasing a product with the card when you go to the hospital to pay for a birth. You are paying for a service. 

Discover, and any other card, will not cover you in this circumstance. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 22 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I had assumed that the OP was joking, but maybe not!

The whole issue is that what you pay for is the hospital service, which comes down to "Was the child delivered in a satisfactory manner".   If there is a real problem, then you are maybe in the realm of medical malpractice, or if the baby got swapped by mistake, then yes, you have a case to sue.   But I don't see any way that the credit card company gets involved.

So for equally creative solutions: steal a credit card and use that.  If the baby turns out to be yours, explain that you made  a mistake and please use this credit card instead.   If it's not, you are whole.  (And maybe the person you stole the card from IS the father, who knows!)

Message 23 of 25
digitek
Established Contributor

I vote to sticky this thread.

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this thread has lived it's usefulness.  OP, the issues for you are better dealt with outside of this forum.  Good luck.  Thread is now locked.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.