Did you mean: 

Using tax refund to pay cc balances

tag
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Re: Using tax refund to pay cc balances

@creditnocash wrote:

@Mike360 wrote:

I pay off my cards monthly so no i won't. I could use it to pay down some of my 0% APR purchases from Best Buy but i don't care about my scores since i'm not getting any new credit so i'll let it sit in the bank and use the offer's full duration. Smiley Happy

the two ive done I just paid minimum and then paid in full the last month. 

havent really gone on app sprees so dont really have to worry about scores even though i check them everyday lol. 

I've had them during the last 2 months of a promotion apply my payment to my promotion before applying it to my standard purchases. i called them to ask and it does say on the statement that during the last 2 months of a promotion your payments apply to your promo before anything else. they were nice and refunded me the interest i paid and now i know for the future.

Message 21 of 33
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Mike360 wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@Mike360 wrote:

I pay off my cards monthly so no i won't. I could use it to pay down some of my 0% APR purchases from Best Buy but i don't care about my scores since i'm not getting any new credit so i'll let it sit in the bank and use the offer's full duration. Smiley Happy

the two ive done I just paid minimum and then paid in full the last month. 

havent really gone on app sprees so dont really have to worry about scores even though i check them everyday lol. 

I've had them during the last 2 months of a promotion apply my payment to my promotion before applying it to my standard purchases. i called them to ask and it does say on the statement that during the last 2 months of a promotion your payments apply to your promo before anything else. they were nice and refunded me the interest i paid and now i know for the future.

if you call and make a payment over the phone, they can just directly apply it too whatever promo you want (you have to ask for it though) 

(i had my remote starter on one and an xbox, wii, games on another) (i was 19 when i did those lol) 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 22 of 33
beb86
Valued Contributor

must be nice i might have to pay on haha but yes a tax refund is a nice way to boost your scores 

Message 23 of 33
timkrof
Contributor

I'm dropping at least 90% of my return on my CC balances. Can't wait!

Message 24 of 33
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I'm only getting back like $50 so maybe I'll pay my Express bill with that...lol.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 25 of 33
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

must be nice i might have to pay on haha but yes a tax refund is a nice way to boost your scores 

Yes, I know that there are exceptions but the finacially savvy method is not to have refunds (which means you have been giving a free gift to the IRS).  Ideally, minimum payment to avoid penalties.   But there are those who get refunds for reasons not related to withholding and those that need the discipline of it as a forced savings account.

Message 26 of 33
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@beb86 wrote:

Yes, I know that there are exceptions but the finacially savvy method is not to have refunds (which means you have been giving a free gift to the IRS).  Ideally, minimum payment to avoid penalties.   But there are those who get refunds for reasons not related to withholding and those that need the discipline of it as a forced savings account.

+1...I changed my withholding so it doesn't take too much. It's kinda nice having the extra $$$ every pay period. lol.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 27 of 33
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@injustifilable LOL thats funny

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 28 of 33
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

I'm only getting back like $50 so maybe I'll pay my Express bill with that...lol.

how much did you pay though? if you dont mind me asking.... 

i claimed 0 and they took out about 7k during the year =/ 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

3k of my $3500 going to CC debt lol. Wish I could just go spend it on whatever but CC debt comes first

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.