Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Util not affecting score much

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Util not affecting score much

Bought a house last month, have been paying off my cards before the statements close, but I let one report a 18k balance last week since the payment did not post until the day after statement cut. Mistake on my part but the fico scorewatch shows a drop of a whopping 7 points. I was expecting much worse. I did call and ask for a mid cycle update since I opened a new account last month and don't want to spook others. The only derog I saw on my CR was short credit history of a few years, didn't have a card in my name until I turned 18. Oh well, 12k in bills and I will be free and clear on the house. Can' t wait. I think I get more excited then my wife does when it comes to paying bills and timing them right.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: Util not affecting score much

That means your utilization is less than 20%.  Quite frankly, without knowing much else about your credit profile, I'm not all that surprised.  My guess is if you were to pay that balance down by a half, you may not see any change.  Certainly complete conjecture on my part.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 2 of 6
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

With UTIL under 20% you might not see that big a drop. What is the CL of the card you put it on?

Message 3 of 6
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

It was the CSP card, it was maxed out with current balance plus pending transactions.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 4 of 6
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Utilization effect is different depending on where the rest of your credit profile places you in the scoring buckets. When you think about it, this makes perfect rational sense. The less risky someone's overall historical behavior is, the less you have to worry about an isolated one-time risk indicator (one month of a high balance reporting).

It's likely that if your scores were all 100 points lower, you would have seen a more substantial swing.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 5 of 6
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i slipped upnand let 4000 balance report.....di not affect score even one point meow

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.