Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Theories

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Utilization Theories

With so many theories about the best utilization to keep on a card, usually ranging from 1% to 10%, is there any advantage to allowing a card to report to the CB's a higher, like ~70% utilization, then pay it down the following month followed by sustained low utilization?  It seems to me if we robotically report minimam utilization it also seems unnatural.  We spend to get points, cash back, cover a short period, whatever the reason, wouldn't an occasional spike show you're human?  Most importantly, would it benefit your score?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Re: Utilization Theories

I believe the same example works for me too. when I pay down a card slowly my score goes up faster. Crazy but seems true.

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 2 of 28
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

I have a feeling what is said on here is getting to you a bit. Most people most certainly dont follow that robotic utilization method in the real world

Message 3 of 28
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

The lower your Fico scores, the more that any little change impacts your results up or down, an increase in your AAOA, inquiries dropping, late payments ageing, etc.  For example, I am running at  17% utilization this month bc of some large purchases. My scores have not changed. What impacted my score more was using several credit cards 5, an auto and home loan. The reported negative"too many accounts with balances" showed up. After paying the cc accounts and shelfing a couple of my lesser used cards,  the negative reporting item will not show up and my score will rebound.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 4 of 28
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Utilization in regards to your credit report actually does not have a history.  40% is the recommended for people without any serious deliquencies or bankruptcies and 20% for those that do.  This part of your score changes as you decrease or increase the balances on your account.  One aspect of it is also the amount on one card.  If that one account is way too high then it can have a bit of an impact on your score too.  I actually read most of this right from FICO!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 28
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Hi there!

I'm going to step outside the box and state that I don't follow the robotic utilization patterns unless I'm going to be applying for something in that month.  Certainly if the scores are very important and if you want to minimize utilization as a game, then following the utilization pattern of <9% utilization on one card and all other cards reporting a zero balance will give you the desired results.

What I do try to do is keep all of my spending on my Amex charge card, which doesn't impact my utilizations.   The benefit to letting a balance report depends on the lender. If your total CL on a card is 4k, and your highest balance ever reported on the card is $350, then why would that creditor or any other creditor be tempted to give you higher limits?

If you can show that you use your current lines reponsibly, then you can get higher limits in the future.  Irresponsible behavior such as "maxing out" cards, and missing payments or only paying the minumums should be avoided at all costs.

that's my 2 cents worth!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 28
sphinx313
Established Contributor

I think the theories are just that and we'll never ultimately know exactly how this thing works. Honestly the scoring model is probably a better kept secret than a Coca-Cola recipe. While I think some aspects of it should be eyes only, some of it should also give people an understanding. You can't play right if you don't know the rules. 

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 28
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

The lower your Fico scores, the more that any little change impacts your results up or down, an increase in your AAOA, inquiries dropping, late payments ageing, etc.  For example, I am running at  17% utilization this month bc of some large purchases. My scores have not changed. What impacted my score more was using several credit cards 5, an auto and home loan. The reported negative"too many accounts with balances" showed up. After paying the cc accounts and shelfing a couple of my lesser used cards,  the negative reporting item will not show up and my score will rebound.

I agree that the number of balances matter. If I have to show a credit card balance or balances, I try to do it on the minimum number of cards. There is no reason to show a small balance on a bunch of different cards. Showing too many balances WILL impact your score negatively.

Message 8 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yes, num of bals def matter, even if you pif! I let a couple teenyyy weennyyy bals report so that my clis would report (5.90 on my new $5900 JCP card; cli'ed from 4900 for ex.) and I got denied a cli by barclay's with that laaaammmeee excuse. I only use like 5-6 of my cards in a given month unless I need them to report a cli., and I usually pif except some 0% offers.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 28
algorithmslave
New Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Hi there!

I'm going to step outside the box and state that I don't follow the robotic utilization patterns unless I'm going to be applying for something in that month.  Certainly if the scores are very important and if you want to minimize utilization as a game, then following the utilization pattern of <9% utilization on one card and all other cards reporting a zero balance will give you the desired results.

What I do try to do is keep all of my spending on my Amex charge card, which doesn't impact my utilizations.   The benefit to letting a balance report depends on the lender. If your total CL on a card is 4k, and your highest balance ever reported on the card is $350, then why would that creditor or any other creditor be tempted to give you higher limits?

If you can show that you use your current lines reponsibly, then you can get higher limits in the future.  Irresponsible behavior such as "maxing out" cards, and missing payments or only paying the minumums should be avoided at all costs.

that's my 2 cents worth!

I agree with most of what your saying. There is, however, a minor detail that should be discussed. You mentioned a category on ones CR called "Highest Balance". I would not look to FICO for such answers, assuming you did. I would call one of the big three CB and ask if a lender has access to view that category. My understanding is, lenders do not have access to view that category. 

You can wrap me in your flag, make me say a praise to your creator and make me spend your currency, but remember this, I am a loyal servant to Justice and a Patriot to none. I am free...
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.