Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization confusion

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Utilization confusion

So, I know you're supposed to keep your utilization as low as possible, but is that across all revolving credit lines, or on individual credit lines?

For example, say you have 3 credit cards at $1000 each with a total combined limit of $3000.

Does (A) carrying a $333 balance on each of the three cards have the same result as (B) maxing out one card at $999?

Both (A) and (B) would be 33% utilization of total credit available, but (B) would be totally maxed out.

I'm asking just as a "just in case" - for "just in case" I have to use a card a lot any particular month.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Re: Utilization confusion

IMO...Its a little bit of both. You total CL is definitely important. You want to try and stay below 10% when it comes to your overall UTL. But having ANY card thats maxed out, even if its below 10% overall, is still bad. For example, you DON'T want to have 1 credit card at 9k and 1 credit card at 1k and max out that 1 CC. That still affects you negatively.

..again, from MY experience. And the feedback i've received on this forum.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 2 of 5
annielorie
Valued Contributor

yes and no For fico scoring  yes in that your utilization is a percentage of your usage on all cards however Fico takes into account when you have a cards with balances.

Even if you pay in full every month you will still show a balance. You must pay off the bill before the next statement cuts which is usally a few days after a payment is due.  I wouldnt want to max anycard for the reason you could get a FR and it could have adverse effects.  Pay a couple of times a month  if you must use your card that much to prevent this from happening.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 3 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

@skigirl916 wrote:

So, I know you're supposed to keep your utilization as low as possible, but is that across all revolving credit lines, or on individual credit lines?

For example, say you have 3 credit cards at $1000 each with a total combined limit of $3000.

Does (A) carrying a $333 balance on each of the three cards have the same result as (B) maxing out one card at $999?

Both (A) and (B) would be 33% utilization of total credit available, but (B) would be totally maxed out.

I'm asking just as a "just in case" - for "just in case" I have to use a card a lot any particular month.

Thanks!

OK you lost me sleepy but here Lol

3 cards $1000 each total limits $3000

total UTL for all 3 should not exceed 30%

10% 300

20% 600 

30% 900

Doesn't matter if its on 3 cards or 1

But its never ever good to max any cards out negative effect on scores

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 5
Elcid89
Contributor

@skigirl916 wrote:

Thanks!

It is both. To maximize credit scoring, your overall utilization (i.e. total credit card debt / total credit card credit available) should remains below 10%, ideally below 7%.

You should also avoid allowing any one card to go over 10%. The formula gets really agressive about dinging you when any one card goes over 50%. In your scenario, you will get dinged under both options, but option B will ding you more.

Note that this refers to reported balances. If you charge up a storm, and then pay it off before the balance is reported to the bureaus, it won't affect your score. FICO only takes into account the balances which are reported to it.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.