Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization help?

tag
Poorboi
Contributor

Utilization help?

I have a $300 secured card, I pay in full before statement date or leave a balance of less than $20, and pay in full by due date. Why is it showing on my credit report $259 dollars spent during the past month

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilization help?

Thats most likely what your balance was when the card repoted to the credit bureaus.

Message 2 of 9
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Cards do not necessarily report their statement balance.

Some underwriters for the company may be knowledgeable on the topic and be able to tell you when their bank reports.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 9
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Poorboi wrote:

I have a $300 secured card, I pay in full before statement date or leave a balance of less than $20, and pay in full by due date. Why is it showing on my credit report $259 dollars spent during the past month

Every CCC is diff but after a few months you can find out when and what the report 

Message 4 of 9
Poorboi
Contributor

I called and asked when do they report,and I pay it in full prior to that day, but for some reason it still shows the largest past amount . If I spend $10 a day and paid it off the next day, it will show on my credit report I used $300 of my balance. Why?

Message 5 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

didn't you just make another topic about the samething? anyways card companies are not obligated to send your data at the statement due date. reporting mid month is their right there's nothing that states they can not. Although they should but people who write the laws have a riduclously high credit limit and poor people with bad credit don't vote so this is what happens.

Bank of America
Barclays
Capital One
Discover
Elan
GEMB
HSBC
UMB 

all report mid month just from ones that are documented so careful. Remember banks like people with lower scores with good histories, this gives them excuses to give subprime loans based off your lowered credit score with a hit on utility. If you want help with utility ratios try to find a friend or family who will add you as an authorized user on their card, if you get that you'll NEVER have to worry about utilty til your in your prime =) (I went from $2,500 max to $50,000 avaliable credit) in about a year from subprime (even bank of america declined me for a SECURED CARD)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 9
Poorboi
Contributor

I'm just trying to see a score increase. It's going on three months with these secured cards and nothing has changed acrossed the boards

Message 7 of 9
firstladyd
Contributor

If your secured card is reporting your balance at $200+ a month you are getting killed on your uti . I would simply only charge maybe $30 on $300 limit pif and then do it again over & over every month. But never a penny over 10% of cl. Same thing happened to me and had crap 1 card for a year couldnt get approved anywhere with no baddies. Started only charging 10%, pif and repeat. Within 3 months score was up and preapprovals in the mail. 

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: TU 734 Walmart EQ 704 FICO EX 721
Goal Score: 750 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

doesn't really matter what your utility is as long as you keep it low prior to applying for something, so if you plan on applying for stuff within 6 months no reason to keep the utility down til your a month away from apping imo

@firstladyd wrote:

If your secured card is reporting your balance at $200+ a month you are getting killed on your uti . I would simply only charge maybe $30 on $300 limit pif and then do it again over & over every month. But never a penny over 10% of cl. Same thing happened to me and had crap 1 card for a year couldnt get approved anywhere with no baddies. Started only charging 10%, pif and repeat. Within 3 months score was up and preapprovals in the mail. 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.