Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Credit Card to compliment AMEX Trifecta

tag
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

VISA Credit Card to compliment AMEX Trifecta

Recommendation for a VISA Credit Card with no FTF's that compliments the AMEX Trifecta—(CS Platinum, Gold, BBP). If my AMEX Trifecta is declined it's usually because I'm shopping at Costco, smaller mom&pop business, or International traveling.

Looking for:

• VISA CC
  • No FTF's
  • Decent Cashback
  • Auto-payments accepted/available
  • Decent SL and growth potential

DP's:

• FICO 8 - EX 710, EQ 700, TU 715
  • HP - EX (3), EQ (4), TU (6) Seems all the people I bank with LOVE TU and EQ
  • 5/24 - OVER

Current Banks:

• NFCU - (2 CC)
  • AMEX - (3 CC)
  • Goldman Sachs - (1 CC)
  • BOA - (1 CC)
  • myEECU - Fresno, CA - (1 CC)
  • SchoolsFirstCU - (1 CC)
26 REPLIES 26
GeorgiaBulldog
Regular Contributor

Re: VISA Credit Card to compliment AMEX Trifecta

The Costco Visa might be good. 4% back on gas, 3% dining and travel, 2% Costco, 1% everything else. I think you only get your cash back once a year though--I forget how it works as I'm not near a Costco 

BoA travel rewards is an easy 1.5% back or more depending on your boa/Merrill holdings. Premium rewards is good too if your spend makes the AF make sense.

Cap1 QS is issued as a visa right now I think. Easy no frills 1.5% back with no FTF. 

Favorite cards: AMEX Morgan Stanley Platinum | BofA Alaska | Chase Hyatt | Citi AA Executive | FNBO Amtrak
Message 2 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

Maybe you could let us know what you consider to be an AMEX trifecta. Mine is Platinum, Gold, and Green, but that's because my "minimal VISA" to accompany is either Altitude Reserve or  Hyatt, or preferably both.  

If you really want No AF, then I would suggest US Bank Cash+, or Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. Even though these cards have an FTF, most of your spend on them will be domestic where that is not an issue. All significant FTF-encounters will take the AMEX, and the small cases where you might find a FTF would be something like a 30 EUR meal, with a $0.90 FTF, offset by $0.30 in rewards, twice a year.

Similar to getting "Another card with Priority Pass", the No-FTF, no-AF trophy card is overrated if you have a card that already has no-FTF. 

Or, if you really want to be a purist, get a VISA from NFCU and have no-FTF.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Maybe you could let us know what you consider to be an AMEX trifecta. Mine is Platinum, Gold, and Green, but that's because my "minimal VISA" to accompany is either Altitude Reserve or  Hyatt, or preferably both.  

If you really want No AF, then I would suggest US Bank Cash+, or Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited. Even though these cards have an FTF, most of your spend on them will be domestic where that is not an issue. All significant FTF-encounters will take the AMEX, and the small cases where you might find a FTF would be something like a 30 EUR meal, with a $0.90 FTF, offset by $0.30 in rewards, twice a year.

Similar to getting "Another card with Priority Pass", the No-FTF, no-AF trophy card is overrated if you have a card that already has no-FTF. 

Or, if you really want to be a purist, get a VISA from NFCU and have no-FTF.

• Updated my post
  • AF's isn't a problem for me so long it's a good CC I was more worried about FTF's.

Message 4 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

What is your anticipated annual spend in FTF situations where AMEX is not accepted?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to put some real numbers to the calculation. We go through this sometimes if someone is concerned they are "only getting 1.5%" vs 2%. Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

What is your anticipated annual spend in FTF situations where AMEX is not accepted?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to put some real numbers to the calculation. We go through this sometimes if someone is concerned they are "only getting 1.5%" vs 2%. Smiley Happy

No worries, my past annual international spend as of now is 1.5k every year. This could fluctuate if I decide to travel more after COVID19 but let's use those numbers seeing they are solid PKI's. The AMEX card was used for ~$800 of the $1.5k in the past years for spending when it was accepted.

Hopefully, that helps narrow down a good card for my current international spending.

I'm not eligible for Chase cards seeing I'm over 5/24, and will be for some time now lol. Also, Chase and I didn't get along earlier in our relationship but maybe in the future, we can be acquaintances, and dare I say, friends.

Message 6 of 27
Gmood1
Super Contributor

This is an easy one to recommend.

The AOD 3% cash back card checks every box on your list.

Looking at your score, 8.99% APR likely. 

Cash back is automatic

Message 7 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

This is an easy one to recommend.

The AOD 3% cash back card checks every box on your list.

Looking at your score, 8.99% APR likely. 

Cash back is automatic

@Gmood1 Do they allow the sought after external (FI's) auto-payments?

Message 8 of 27
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@TheFIGuy 

Of course, 😆 or I wouldn't recommend it. 

I'm autopay all the way. I won't even recommend a CC if they can't be auto paid externally.

Message 9 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@TheFIGuy 

Of course, 😆 or I wouldn't recommend it. 

I'm autopay all the way. I won't even recommend a CC if they can't be auto paid externally.

CHANTS: AU-TO-PAY, AU-TO-PAY!!! 

Yeah, I remember seeing the person posting the 3% unicorn, I just checked the thread and 308 WOW! I wonder what happens when they start seeing all these applications come in. Do they just think one person has a lot of friends Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.