VISA Credit Card to compliment AMEX Trifecta

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: VISA Credit Card to compliment AMEX Trifecta

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

@TheFIGuy 

Of course, 😆 or I wouldn't recommend it. 

I'm autopay all the way. I won't even recommend a CC if they can't be auto paid externally.

CHANTS: AU-TO-PAY, AU-TO-PAY!!! 

Yeah, I remember seeing the person posting the 3% unicorn, I just checked the thread and 308 WOW! I wonder what happens when they start seeing all these applications come in. Do they just think one person has a lot of friends Smiley LOL

😂😂😂

I believe they've figured it out now. But happy to have the business.

So full steam ahead until they hit that mark I suppose.

Eventually the card won't be offered any more. So get in where you fit in!😉

Message 11 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

@TheFIGuy 

Of course, 😆 or I wouldn't recommend it. 

I'm autopay all the way. I won't even recommend a CC if they can't be auto paid externally.

CHANTS: AU-TO-PAY, AU-TO-PAY!!! 

Yeah, I remember seeing the person posting the 3% unicorn, I just checked the thread and 308 WOW! I wonder what happens when they start seeing all these applications come in. Do they just think one person has a lot of friends Smiley LOL

😂😂😂

I believe they've figured it out now. But happy to have the business.

So full steam ahead until they hit that mark I suppose.

Eventually the card won't be offered any more. So get in where you fit in!😉

Yeah, I was reading through, got to page 10, and skipped to page 308 after that. I'm probably going to let this one SAIL away into the sea. I should have applied when I first saw it "yesterday" Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy But I assumed it would fizzle out quickly. NOPE, I was wrong.

It looks like a good card though, I'm curious about how long they will offer it and if people will be grandfathered in.

Message 12 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

All this time you are posting you could be applyingSmiley Wink.

Message 13 of 27
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

For spending in the US, sign up for Rakuten and choose to receive Amex points, then apply for their visa. Yes it's 1%, but it'll give you MR points instead of cashback, even on the regular card spending!

For abroad, try changing you BofA card to travel rewards. That'll save you opening another card.

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 14 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

Another suggested update: Not Chase Smiley Wink

You have a Navy Fed VISA? Autopay or not, that is an excellent option for travel.
Conversion of the BofA to Travel Rewards sounds like a good idea. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Another suggested update: Not Chase Smiley Wink

You have a Navy Fed VISA? Autopay or not, that is an excellent option for travel.
Conversion of the BofA to Travel Rewards sounds like a good idea. 

I'm trying to keep you on your toes! Whil helping me isn't that a reverse.

Yes I have a cashRewards and Platinum Card with NFCU. If NFCU would allow auto-payments I would be all aboard the ship!

You're saying you recommend to convert my BOfA cashRewards Card into a travel rewards card and use that abroad or for catch all when AMEX is not accepted?

Message 16 of 27
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

I'm in possession of a C1 QS Mastercard, for what it's worth. (PC from a Platinum.) It might be bucketed but it is a QS Mastercard. Capital One QS with autopay and no FTF would definitely be an option for foriegn travel (in fact, it is mine for non-AMEX international spend, along with a Petal Visa at 1.5%, instead of coughing up half of my 2% cashback from a Fidelity Rewards Visa).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

What is your anticipated annual spend in FTF situations where AMEX is not accepted?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to put some real numbers to the calculation. We go through this sometimes if someone is concerned they are "only getting 1.5%" vs 2%. Smiley Happy

No worries, my past annual international spend as of now is 1.5k every year. This could fluctuate if I decide to travel more after COVID19 but let's use those numbers seeing they are solid PKI's. The AMEX card was used for ~$800 of the $1.5k in the past years for spending when it was accepted.

Hopefully, that helps narrow down a good card for my current international spending.

I'm not eligible for Chase cards seeing I'm over 5/24, and will be for some time now lol. Also, Chase and I didn't get along earlier in our relationship but maybe in the future, we can be acquaintances, and dare I say, friends.

I'm new to the cash back game so bare with me if I ask you some questions... you said you wanted a Visa for where Amex was not accepted. Are none of the other cards you have Visa? 

Also, for your international travel (using last trip as an example) you would have put approx $700 or so on this Visa (rest was on your Amex).  So thats like $21 back if you got the AOD at 3% cash back. 

I've been struggling with this myself lately but I'm not seeing how I can justify applying, maintaining and carrying another card just to get $21 back (for example). 

I guess I don't have the spend for it where others do.  

Message 18 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm new to the cash back game so bare with me if I ask you some questions... you said you wanted a Visa for where Amex was not accepted. Are none of the other cards you have Visa? 

Also, for your international travel (using last trip as an example) you would have put approx $700 or so on this Visa (rest was on your Amex).  So thats like $21 back if you got the AOD at 3% cash back. 

I've been struggling with this myself lately but I'm not seeing how I can justify applying, maintaining and carrying another card just to get $21 back (for example). 

I guess I don't have the spend for it where others do.  

They're but not what I would want in a daily driver. Or they do not allow auto-payment, which looking through this thread you can see is a 50/50 draw of usability for some.

That is correct calculations, but I'm trying to limit my CU memberships and CHEX pulls right now. Yes, I would like to find a solid VISA option I can use and grow with as I'm going to be hitting the garden after I find the said UNICORN!

Message 19 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@GeorgiaBulldog wrote:

The Costco Visa might be good. 4% back on gas, 3% dining and travel, 2% Costco, 1% everything else. I think you only get your cash back once a year though--I forget how it works as I'm not near a Costco 

BoA travel rewards is an easy 1.5% back or more depending on your boa/Merrill holdings. Premium rewards is good too if your spend makes the AF make sense.

Cap1 QS is issued as a visa right now I think. Easy no frills 1.5% back with no FTF. 

Costco VISA isn't a bad idea honestly. My only drawback would be if I moved away from a Costco and then basically have to close my card. From my research, if you don't live near a Costco you cannot redeem your cashback and you would be paying an "Annual Fee" which would be the Costco membership to house the card.

@NRB525 Any data points on if you can PC from Costco Visa to another Citi Card?

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.