Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Credit Card to compliment AMEX Trifecta

tag
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: VISA Credit Card to compliment AMEX Trifecta

@MrCreditInternational wrote:

For spending in the US, sign up for Rakuten and choose to receive Amex points, then apply for their visa. Yes it's 1%, but it'll give you MR points instead of cashback, even on the regular card spending!

For abroad, try changing you BofA card to travel rewards. That'll save you opening another card.

I'm looking into this now, I didn't know this was an option!

Message 21 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

I think it might be possible to PC to a Costco VISA, but someone else would need to confirm. 

I only go to Costco

1) when there is something name brand we have in mind to get a single unit of, like a TV or countertop multipurpose oven for a gift, or

2) under duress.  Smiley Wink

You didn't mention whether you want Chip+PIN in the card for your travels, but this is a useful feature in my limited experience. The State Dept FCU Rewards VISA has 2% back everywhere, and can be issued as Chip+PIN. The drawback is, not only is there no autopay, but you can only pay the SDFCU CC from an SDFCU savings or checking. Meaning if it is not your main checking you have to transfer in funds, then another step to pay the card. But 2% and Chip+PIN can be a compelling combo.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I think it might be possible to PC to a Costco VISA, but someone else would need to confirm. 

I only go to Costco

1) when there is something name brand we have in mind to get a single unit of, like a TV or countertop multipurpose oven for a gift, or

2) under duress.  Smiley Wink

You didn't mention whether you want Chip+PIN in the card for your travels, but this is a useful feature in my limited experience. The State Dept FCU Rewards VISA has 2% back everywhere, and can be issued as Chip+PIN. The drawback is, not only is there no autopay, but you can only pay the SDFCU CC from an SDFCU savings or checking. Meaning if it is not your main checking you have to transfer in funds, then another step to pay the card. But 2% and Chip+PIN can be a compelling combo.

I'm more looking PC from a Citi Costco VISA to another Citi card if moving happens. I live close to a Costco but I'm pretty standard shopper so I use "Instacart" tied to my AMEX Gold to earn 4x points. But I still like the 3% restaurants/travel seeing that's normally where AMEX might have issues with acceptance.

How do you like Citi as a bank?

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You cannot PC Costco to anything else. 

Message 24 of 27
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just when I thought maybe I had a CC for me. You come in and give me the truth and crush my dreams. Back to the drawing board.

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just when I thought maybe I had a CC for me. You come in and give me the truth and crush my dreams. Back to the drawing board.

Yeah sorry. Citi is usually very flexible with PCs but you cannot PC from a Costco card. 

Message 26 of 27
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

I just remembered that I do have PNC travel rewards. They have auto pay and everything. The card gives you two points for every dollar, which is equivalent to 2% when redeemed for travel or 1% when redeemed for cash (somewhat disappointing). The AF is $89 tho.

I used it personally when I traveled without any problems.

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.