Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Signature confusion

tag
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

VISA Signature confusion

I was recently approved for the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card (https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-platinum-select-aadvantage-visa-signature-card/)

My card looks identical to the one shown on their site, however I was approved with at $3500 limit.  Is this really a VISA Signature card if I have a limit (esp less than $5K)? They also describe this card as NPSL which mine doesn't seem to have.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VISA Signature confusion

Often times lenders will offer Platinum versions of Signature cards if the borrower can't qualify for a $5,000 limit.  That's probably the case here, the card is advertised as a signature because it normally is, but Citi could only approve you for $3500 and your card is therefore only a Platinum Visa.

Message 2 of 19
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

So even though my card says VISA Signature, it really isn't?

Also sorry the above link didn't work.  This is what the card looks like: https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-platinum-select-aadvantage-visa-signature-card/

Message 3 of 19
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

If it says Visa Signature on you card, it's a signature card. Credit limit is still dependent on your level of worthiness, just like everything else. My visa sig reports my $7500 limit to the bureaus, but I've had no problem spending above and beyond. Just read your terms and it should explain how the NPSL works.
----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your card says Signature on it, then it is a Signature.  You can read through the info that came with the card to make sure.  It should explain how they may let you go over your limit, but you will have to pay enough to get it below the limit for your next payment.  Also, you should notice there is no over limit fee.  I've never heard of a Signature with a lower than $5,000 limit though.

Message 5 of 19
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks.  I just read how the terms and condtions online so I understand the NPSL now.  The <$5K is what really threw me too! From all the other posts I've read i thought that was an absolute minimum.

Message 6 of 19
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

I was also under the impression that Visa Signatures must have a CL of $5000 and above. This is interesting. Congrats though!

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 7 of 19
mxp114
Valued Contributor

And the dilution of Visa Signature begins, soon we can expect Orchard Bank Visa Signature Secured lol Interesting but not suprised they lowered the threshold for Signature. I guess that means Visa Signature Premier and/or Visa Infinite will finally launch in USA as the new high-end Visa product. I don't know why they just didn't keep Platinum at $5k and Signature/World at $10k.

Message 8 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

IF it acutally has the word signature printed on YOUR own card, then it is a Visa Signature. Otherwise it is Platinum Visa.

Message 9 of 19
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

IF it acutally has the word signature printed on YOUR own card, then it is a Visa Signature. Otherwise it is Platinum Visa.

Yep! It's printed on my card.  

I thought about calling Citi to verify but I don't want to call attention to it if it's a mistake.  I also apped for the AAdvantage AMEX at the same exact time (doing the 2 browser thing) and was approved for 4K on that one.  Maybe that's why the card was approved but then a lower limit was assigned?  I'll take it Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.