Did you mean: 

VISA vs Mastercard

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: VISA vs Mastercard

Thanks for the feedback.

All my High CL cards are VISA

The only MC's I have is a Cap One rebuilder and a USAA Classic (also a rebuilder I believe) And both cards have a $1000 each. When I travel abroad, I have never had an issue with VISA; AMEX for sure in Europe but Visa no issues at all.

Message 11 of 40
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Some CCs will allow you to PC from Visa to MC. I believe both Navy and Chase Freedom will do that. Others probably would as well. IMO, it's just a good idea to have the variety. Also, sometimes one or the other will have a promo/contest where each purchase gives you an entry. It does seem like Visa is a lot more prevalent here. I only have one MC (Barclay's) and all others are Visa.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 12 of 40
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

MC doesn't get much love here in the U.S.  The issuing banks seems to push Visa.  I've never had an MC in my life, always Visa.  It wasn't even an option when I signed up for my Freedom card.

Citi used to issue MC primarily. Now even Citi is switching over to Visa.

Message 13 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's not a whole lot of advantages to one over the other in the US.  Sam's Club is the only place I know that takes one but not the other.  I think Visa Signature typically has a little bit stronger benefits over World MasterCard, but the individual card may enhance them anyway; also MasterCard has World Elite level, which has more perks.

Message 14 of 40
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's not a whole lot of advantages to one over the other in the US.  Sam's Club is the only place I know that takes one but not the other.  I think Visa Signature typically has a little bit stronger benefits over World MasterCard, but the individual card may enhance them anyway; also MasterCard has World Elite level, which has more perks.

World Elite is meant to compete against Visa Infinite. Visa Infinite beats World Elite MC, as does Visa Signature to World MC. MC overall has less perks than Visa.

Message 15 of 40
Jlu
Established Contributor

For some reason most subprime cards are MC and most prime cards are Visa.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 16 of 40
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

So MC is more accepted outside US ? I thought I was the other way around !

By the way my Freedom card is MC.

Message 17 of 40
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@DeadSpider wrote:

So MC is more accepted outside US ? I thought I was the other way around !

By the way my Freedom card is MC.

Correct, MC has better international acceptance.

Message 18 of 40
Jlu
Established Contributor

Your Freedom is pumped/marketed in the Visa flavor. Not all subprime are MC and not all Prime cards are Visa but it just seems most subprime is MCs and most prime is Visas.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 19 of 40
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

So much for Visa commercials "It's everywhere you want to be" IT'S A LIE Smiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.