Did you mean: 

VISA vs Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: VISA vs Mastercard

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There's not a whole lot of advantages to one over the other in the US.  Sam's Club is the only place I know that takes one but not the other.  I think Visa Signature typically has a little bit stronger benefits over World MasterCard, but the individual card may enhance them anyway; also MasterCard has World Elite level, which has more perks.

World Elite is meant to compete against Visa Infinite. Visa Infinite beats World Elite MC, as does Visa Signature to World MC. MC overall has less perks than Visa.

Visa Infinite may be better than WE MC, but aren't there currently no Visa Infinites being issued in the US?  As for Visa Sig against World MasterCard, it may be true that the Visa generally has more perks, but this can vary by card because many cards go above and beyond standard Visa or Mastercard perks, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, for instance.

Message 21 of 40
CS800
Super Contributor

VISA infinite not issued inthe US ?

So there is one more VISA flavor out there. Even the Palladium is a Signature.

Message 22 of 40
Jlu
Established Contributor

Yes the Visa Infinte is a non-US version. It is considered a step above the Signature version.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember reading something a few years ago about Visa introducing a "Signature Preferred" tier in the US that would be above Signature, but I guess that never happened.

Message 24 of 40
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@DeadSpider wrote:

So MC is more accepted outside US ? I thought I was the other way around !

By the way my Freedom card is MC.

My Chase freedom is MC, also.

Message 25 of 40
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I think there really is no difference b/w visa or MC

But I think I'd prefer a MC over visa any day.

Coke or Pepsi?

Message 26 of 40
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

I think there is less of a difference, than people are led to believe. That being said, I don't understand why Visa hasn't seen the opportunity to target their Visa Infinite to the U.S. market. 

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 27 of 40
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

I think there is less of a difference, than people are led to believe. That being said, I don't understand why Visa hasn't seen the opportunity to target their Visa Infinite to the U.S. market. 

I have a feeling its because the number of people who would qualify would be extremely limited, so much so that it wouldn't be worth the costs of implementation. Visa Infinites have a minimum CL of $20,000, so you'd need to be able to qualify for a 20k CL upon approval from a major bank (not something like NFCU which gives out severely inflated limits). CLIs wouldn't count in this, much like to get a signature you must be qualified for 5k the moment you're approved. The difference in interchange fees from this small group would be fairly small (maybe an extra 0.1-0.15%), and therefore it would take them a decade or more to recover the startup costs.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 28 of 40
Elcid89
Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@nenuco wrote:

I have a feeling its because the number of people who would qualify would be extremely limited, so much so that it wouldn't be worth the costs of implementation. Visa Infinites have a minimum CL of $20,000, so you'd need to be able to qualify for a 20k CL upon approval from a major bank (not something like NFCU which gives out severely inflated limits). CLIs wouldn't count in this, much like to get a signature you must be qualified for 5k the moment you're approved. The difference in interchange fees from this small group would be fairly small (maybe an extra 0.1-0.15%), and therefore it would take them a decade or more to recover the startup costs.

This is somewhat inaccurate. RBC, for example, requires for its British Airways Visa Infinite a minimum line of $5,000 in conjunction with a minimum personal income of $60,000 or minimum household income of $100,000.

These are marketing tools designed to appeal to snobbery, IMO. If the benefits you can obtain (and actually utilize) from the card outweigh the AF (if any), then by all means pick it up. If not, it's ludicrously stupid IMO to pay a fee for presumed prestige.Credit cards are tools, not fashion accessories.

Because, after all, if one can seek something out, it isn't really very prestigious, is it? The truly prestigious things in life (to the extent that this even matters, which IMO is zero) are the things that one must be invited to acquire.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 29 of 40
Elcid89
Contributor

Likewise for the CIBC Aerogold VISA Infinite, the Scotiabank Momentum VISA Infinite, and the TD Canada Trust First Class Travel VISA Infinite.

All have minimum lines of $5,000 with personal income of $60,000 or household income of $100,000.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.