Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA vs Mastercard

tag
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: VISA vs Mastercard

@Elcid89 wrote:

Likewise for the CIBC Aerogold VISA Infinite, the Scotiabank Momentum VISA Infinite, and the TD Canada Trust First Class Travel VISA Infinite.

All have minimum lines of $5,000 with personal income of $60,000 or household income of $100,000.

Dang, I knew I should have asked for more on the ScotiaBank Visa.  I just asked for $10k because I was a little gun shy.  Maybe I will CLI my card upwards to match my other ones.  Smiley LOL

I agree with the others, M/C seems to be more prevelant here in Canada.  It could be my imagination but I think about 75% of the cards are M/C rather than VISA.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 31 of 40
distantarray
Established Contributor

my Local DMV refused to take Visa -_-;

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 32 of 40
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

MasterCard FTW!

Message 33 of 40
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Roarmeister wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

Likewise for the CIBC Aerogold VISA Infinite, the Scotiabank Momentum VISA Infinite, and the TD Canada Trust First Class Travel VISA Infinite.

All have minimum lines of $5,000 with personal income of $60,000 or household income of $100,000.

Dang, I knew I should have asked for more on the ScotiaBank Visa.  I just asked for $10k because I was a little gun shy.  Maybe I will CLI my card upwards to match my other ones.  Smiley LOL

I agree with the others, M/C seems to be more prevelant here in Canada.  It could be my imagination but I think about 75% of the cards are M/C rather than VISA.

MC seems to be more prevalent here as well. Inside the US Visa seems to be more prevalent, but that often changes once you step outside the country.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 40
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

I just found pages with real information as opposed to my gut feelings:  Smiley Surprised

I suspect the % data hasn't changed much since 2009.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-industry-facts-personal-debt-statistics-1276...

• As of yearend 2009, there were 270 million Visa credit cards and 382 million Visa debit cards in circulation in the United States. (Source: Visa.com)
  • As of yearend 2009, there were 203 million MasterCard credit cards and 125 million MasterCard debit cards in circulation in the United States. (Source: MasterCard.com)
  • As of yearend 2009, there were 48.9 million American Express credit cards in circulation in the United States. (Source: AmericanExpress.com)
  • As of yearend 2009, there were 54.4 million Discover credit cards in circulation in the United States. (Source: Discover.com)

In Canada, in 2008, M/C had 38.7% of the market, VISA had 38.3% (and most of the banks), 17% AMEX and the remaining 8-9% shared among the other CCCs.

http://banknerd.ca/2010/09/28/visa-vs-mastercard/

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 35 of 40
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Delta Community (I'm a member), Wings, and American Airlines CU only offer Visa. That right there should tell you it's a non-issue where acceptability is concerned. If the vast number of airline employees started having issues paying with Visa overseas, I'm sure these CUs would offer a Mastercard alternative.
Message 36 of 40
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I'd also add that I think the bigger problem for world travelers, and something I've faced in my 26 times to Amsterdam - is the lack of chip and pin for most US based credit cards. I've never been able to pay for a train ticket in Amsterdam with either credit card. I always have to pull cash out of an ATM. Other European countries are hit or miss for me, but the Netherlands - take cash!
Message 37 of 40
bluescale
Regular Contributor

@USF813 wrote:
I'd also add that I think the bigger problem for world travelers, and something I've faced in my 26 times to Amsterdam - is the lack of chip and pin for most US based credit cards. I've never been able to pay for a train ticket in Amsterdam with either credit card. I always have to pull cash out of an ATM. Other European countries are hit or miss for me, but the Netherlands - take cash!

I encountered this at a number of restaurants in Paris (and to a much lesser degree, Italy) last month.  It's been a long time since I used cash as regularly as I did during the trip.

Message 38 of 40
USF813
Frequent Contributor

It's been a few years since I've been to Paris, and when I did go I don't think chip and pin was in full swing yet, so no issue using my cards. Last year in Spain no issues using US based cards either - and it's pretty cheap there. I think with the Spanish economy tanking they don't want to alienate American visitors so they make it easy for us. No issues using Visa there either.

Message 39 of 40
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Visa Infinite = Visa Signature

It's branded as "Infinite" outside the US because the branding "Signature" was thought to be confusing to people used to things like Chip and PIN.

Same tier. Minor differences in how some countries chose to implement it, but its not some uber secret elite tier of Visa being kept from the US.
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.