Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Re: Vanilla Reload Vs. MoneyPak?

The lowest risks might come down to three options:

1:  Do MS on a small scale.. ie.. a few hundred a month... great for meeting minimum requirements;

2:  Buy Reloads at large ticket retailers..ie.. Office Depot, Sams Club, Walmart, Target, etc..;

3:  Increase # of TLs to offset any account cancellation as a result of MS;

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 21 of 66
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

while i do understand script there is a flaw with any script such as this...in the area i live in i could do this at meijer, wal mart, cvs, check n go, kroger, and even throntons gas station. the fact of the matter is that no matter the means to catch something someone will always find a way around it.

Message 22 of 66
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

while i do understand script there is a flaw with any script such as this...in the area i live in i could do this at meijer, wal mart, cvs, check n go, kroger, and even throntons gas station. the fact of the matter is that no matter the means to catch something someone will always find a way around it.

Right, but the issuer doesn't have to catch everyone, just many of them.   But mine was just a crude example, you can do many tests:  look for those earning a lot of rewards relative to their stated income  (this will miss those that spread out their activity over many cards, but then those are not a great threat to an individual issuer), look at those using multiple times their cl etc.  

And finally, have a team looking at the blogs/forums to see the new tricks being proposed, and check for them!

Now some level of MS is just the cost of doing business, there are costs in shutting lots of people down, but you can almost certainly find those that are costing you a lot.

Message 23 of 66
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@+longtimelurker wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

Right, but the issuer doesn't have to catch everyone, just many of them.   But mine was just a crude example, you can do many tests:  look for those earning a lot of rewards relative to their stated income  (this will miss those that spread out their activity over many cards, but then those are not a great threat to an individual issuer), look at those using multiple times their cl etc.  

And finally, have a team looking at the blogs/forums to see the new tricks being proposed, and check for them!

Now some level of MS is just the cost of doing business, there are costs in shutting lots of people down, but you can almost certainly find those that are costing you a lot.

+1 ....i only churn around 50 a month but you are right i can imagine people getting ...with this

Message 24 of 66
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

@+longtimelurker wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

+1 ....i only churn around 50 a month but you are right i can imagine people getting ...with this

$50 per month, or $50k? I can't imagine $50 being worth your time. And $50k/mo seems like a lot.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 25 of 66
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

nope only $50.00 still rebuilding my credit so do not want to push the envelope to far

Message 26 of 66
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

nope only $50.00 still rebuilding my credit so do not want to push the envelope to far

Is that really worth your time when you factor in gas and travel time, assuming you value your time at a somewhat reasonable amount of money?

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
Message 27 of 66
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i live less than 300 yards from a cvs and a wal mart!

Message 28 of 66
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

i live less than 300 yards from a cvs and a wal mart!

Even so, I'm assuming you're buying VRs, which have a $3.95 activation fee (I think, I've never actually bought one). And let's assume you earn 5% CashBack. Assuming you buy a $50 VR, your total would be $53.95. You'd earn (at 5%) approximately $2.70. You're paying $3.95 to earn $2.7.

Message 29 of 66
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

card cost is 3.95 i purchase 900 @ 5% cash back net gain $41.05 i only do this when barclay has boosted points

Message 30 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.