Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanity Cards?

tag
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Vanity Cards?

No disrespect meant by any means, but I'm really surprised sometimes while reading through the threads here how important it is for some people to have "beautiful" cards in their wallets.  Is it really that important what a card looks like?  Dunno about anyone else here, but not even my wife ever looks through my wallet...unless of course I'm handing it to her to make a "withdrawal" for a purchase, and then she just yanks the required cash out (sometimes, to my dismay, handing back with COINS in the bill portion).

Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
Astraywhit

Re: Vanity Cards?

I think credit cards are made fashionable as many things

People have told me they like the chase sapphire preferred over sapphire because one is like metal and the other is like laminated cardboard although they look the same, and with exception of a few perks like non-US currency purchase fee and cashback bonus..

Likewise some like to get Amex black because its or was more exclusive

Perks are awesome too

I guess it's a fine balance..if you offered me an ugly card with 10% cashback, of course

Otherwise if I had to choose between similar cards, I would take the company behind the card as well as the design into consideration
Message 2 of 70
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@100down0monthly wrote:

No disrespect meant by any means, but I'm really surprised sometimes while reading through the threads here how important it is for some people to have "beautiful" cards in their wallets.  Is it really that important what a card looks like?  Dunno about anyone else here, but not even my wife ever looks through my wallet...unless of course I'm handing it to her to make a "withdrawal" for a purchase, and then she just yanks the required cash out (sometimes, to my dismay, handing back with COINS in the bill portion).

I think it's an unarguable fact that some folks care what you pay with.  I get markedly different responses when I use an Amex vs. my Freedom; it's across too many data points to be coincidence, and my dress is boringly similar in virtually all cases.  It's not a pink shirt phenomenon.

Also in certain environments, there's an expectation of what you pay with.  I don't travel in those circles much, but if I did, I'm probably shelling out the near $500 for an Amex Plat or similar.

I'm starting to think it's really no different than one's watch or shoes.  As rationally depressing as it is, personally I think it matters.

        
Message 3 of 70
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@100down0monthly wrote:

Is it really that important what a card looks like? 

Some people like to drive Cadillacs, while others are just as happy with an old reliable Chevy.

There are cards for every personal taste and budget, and there's nothing wrong appreciating beauty in all things (whether its jewelry, clothing, a fine wallet, or even your credit card). 

Anything that helps you feel good about yourself, is a worthy investment - regardless of whether anyone else ever sees it.

Message 4 of 70
culture
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
.  I get markedly different responses when I use an Amex vs. my Freedom; it's across too many data points to be coincidence, and my dress is boringly similar in virtually all cases.  It's not a pink shirt phenomenon.

curious if you can elaborate on this....

Message 5 of 70
TM82
Regular Contributor

In my opinon, a card can be too flashy and attract unneeded attention.  That's why there's certain situations where I will refuse to use a particular card.  Especially when it comes to eating out, I don't want dozens of wait staff and others passing my card around.  I've witnessed one time when I went out to eat at Outback and out of the corner of my eye I noticed 6-7 staff just passing my card around. 

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 6 of 70
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

If your bank sends you an ugly card - you can dress it up with one of these skins:

http://www.upperbag.com/upper-life-stickers-credit-card,us,3,32.cfm

Message 7 of 70
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Most places I'd use a card (gas, etc), the person working there doesn't even see it.  I swipe it myself lol.  I'm a bit odd about bein' a "cash n carry" kinda person though.

Message 8 of 70
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

People do watch what card you use in professional circles. I went to lunch with a group of co-workers once and paid for my portion with my Amex Green. One asked me if I was paying with my Corp Amex and if so, it was not wise.

I had to double check my wallet to make sure I didn't pull out the wrong card..scared me half to death. Lol. Now, i double check each time I used my Green out of fear of pulling the wrong card.

I am friends with the person who asked me and we still laugh about it.

People do watch, and if you are trying to make an impression, the card you use matters. I know it sounds vain, but it is reality in some circles.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 9 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

But in what professional circles is an Amex green going to impress anyone?

Message 10 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.