Did you mean: 

Vanity Cards?

tag
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: Vanity Cards?

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

I get comments anytime catches a glimpse of the 5 Amex cards in my wallet, or if I pull out the PRG or Zync.  People WANT Amex - whether they can or not, or want to admit it or not.

It's "status", and people want the feeling it comes with.

I'm not sure what you are basing this off of, but okay. I don't use them anymore, but when I used the Premier Rewards Gold or the Blue Cash Everyday, no one said anything. I don't know what American Express used to be, but it's pretty clear that since people who have charge offs and lates can get them, they aren't a "status" symbol. Don't forget that they even people with awful credit can carry one in the form of Bluebird.

@IECredit wrote:
I work for a Bank and once after work we all went to BWW. When it came time to pay one of our coworkers pulled out a Cap 1 card and alot of the table just laughed. Till this day that story still cra up! Just saying it was a laugh =)

Capital One does have nice cards for people with excellent credit. People think the Zync is the holy grail but laugh at Capital One cards? I really wouldn't be able to care less if someone laughed at a card I pulled out to pay with. Do people really judge people based on the kind of credit card they have? I wouldn't want to do business or be friends with anyone that did that. Someone could use a First Premier or Credit One card and it wouldn't make me laugh or make me judge them in any way.

A card's looks or "status" do not sway me to apply or not when considering a card. The only thing I care about is how much cashback I will receive or how long a zero interest period on purchases it has. I do notice card's looks and think the Fidelity American Express is the ugliest card in existence, since green is not on my list of likeable colors. It has the highest basic cashback I have, so I use it anyway. Even if the green is peeling after only one  year of use.

+1000

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 41 of 70
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

Personally, I could care less what my credit cards look like and I don't get cards just because they are pretty or neat.  When I pay for lunch or dinner for friends, coworkers or clients, I discreetly put the card in the folder and know one sees it because, quite frankly, it is none of their business what I use.  While I don't have an Amex (my bankruptcy is 7 years old and I need to wait until it is at least 8 years old), I consider all of my credits cards to be fine and sufficient for what I need them for.  When I get an Amex, the last thing I am going to do is flash it around.  I don't feel the need to "impress" anyone.

I own a business that typically have transaction amount that are anywhere between a couple hundred dollars to over $3000 dollars, so, most customers use credit cards.  I would never comment or scrutinize or pass around anyone's credit card, and my employees are instructed not to do so.  We swipe the card, hand it back and get their signature.  I could care less if they use a fancy Amex or a Credit One, just as long as the transaction is approved.  

+1000.  Nice guys do finish first.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 42 of 70
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
Hello Kitty...rofl! That's my daughter's favorite character!

I will say that I do not like the look of the BCP...not feeling the clear look. But, I pull it out every time I go to grocery store and gas station!!!

DD wants to be AU on my BCP because it looks "cool", LOL!

Mine has been swiped half to death but I'm not ordering a replacement until it starts getting refused, LOL! I want it to get 100% clear like the passcard on Burn Notice. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 70
thom02099
Valued Contributor

The various opinions expressed in this thread are very interesting.  And I see both sides of the argument...looks matter/looks don't matter is what it boils down to.

The bottom line however is that, regardless of what one says, one DOES make a note, consciously or subconsiously, of the appearance of a particular card versus another card.  That's why the marketers at the various card issuers design the cards the way they do.  There is always a physical appeal that is part of the attraction to an inanimate object...as well as people. Credit card designers know this.  ANY sort of designer knows this.  An object that is designed for consumer consumption is more likely to be chosen if there is attractive packaging or something attractive about it, all other things considered. 

Two credit cards with exactly the same benefits, outstanding customer service, etc -- if a consumer has to choose just ONE, they are more likely to choose the physically attractive card.  I'm not saying this is right or wrong.  It just is. 

There have been myriad studies and news magazine shows (20/20, What Would You Do?, etc) about how attractiveness affects one's decisions.  I'm sure everyone has seen those studies or shows where, an attractive model and an average looking model are compared in some sort of scenario, such as a hiring situation.  Invariably, the more attractive model is chosen over the average looking model, when everything else is equal.   Again, I'm not addressing right or wrong, just pointing out that, statistically, something that is more attractive (model, credit card, automobile, spouse, or whatever), will more likely be chosen over something average looking.  That's just human nature. 

Vanity cards?  Sure, they are out there.  Besides the benefits, that's why some cards are chosen over others.  There are AMEX supporters and detractors here, and the benefits of some of their cards are less than stellar.  But they are attractive...because they are attractive.  Zync is a prime example of the so-called vanity cards.  For me (and others), it's pretty much a worthless card as far as any benefits.  BUT, I will say, without shame, that I am holding on to it simply because it is physically attractive and is a conversation piece.  Others comment on the card, and it's fun to talk about it.  Is that shallow?   Perhaps.   But, if we really look inside ourselves, we all have "shallow" moments, those "feel good" times that we enjoy...if only briefly. 

Message 44 of 70
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

^^^^ well stated and so very true!!!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 45 of 70
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I rock the PRG as the everyday card. Freedom MC as the card where AMEX isnt accepted.

Its gotta be AMEX! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 46 of 70
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Is Amex still one of the I've arrived cards?

With all the co-branding, credit cards, and entry level products I'd say it wasn't.

I use the BCP because it makes sense. The typical clerk where I by groceries may not even knows what it is.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 47 of 70
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

With all the co-branding, credit cards, and entry level products I'd say it wasn't.

I use the BCP because it makes sense. The typical clerk where I by groceries may not even knows what it is.

For the millions of users worldwide who DON'T frequent message boards and forums...yes, it is.  There's still that perception, as others have stated, that a 50 year old charge card that has pretty much been unchanged in all that time still says "I've arrived". 

Message 48 of 70
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

For the millions of users worldwide who DON'T frequent message boards and forums...yes, it is.  There's still that perception, as others have stated, that a 50 year old charge card that has pretty much been unchanged in all that time still says "I've arrived". 

Totally agree!!! Maybe not to people here but the average joe yup!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 49 of 70
Richierichdollar
New Contributor

I can tell you this from my standpoint of things. I does matter sometimes what card you use period, maybe because of my color?. I am not racist nor believe in it (tho i do know it exist)the only color I see in green (money)  but I have been around the block I am a 32 year old Union carpenter  NYC local 157 and I make good money some years more then most corp people. I went to miami this month to propose to my now fiance. I was at a high class resturant and I was getting the real messed up treatment and me and my fiance was really unhappy with how we where being treated so we complained, Well they must have thought we where trying to get out of the bill but that had not cross my mind because I was after all on vacation in another state and did not want any problems, I would just right a letter (which I have done) and pay. Well its seems that after all the loud talk between me and the manager and the server, I get mad and just pull out my Discover card and the whole game changed for some reason. I did say while giving them the card that I will be writing  to the owner of the place because I dont like how I have been treated because of the way I look. I mean If I was lilwayne, chris brown or jayz would I have got treated the way I did. Only after pulling out my discover and showing 3k worth of money in my pocket  then things changed. They said they would reduce my bill by 15% and take off the tip but I refused and paid what they charged and put the reciept in the letter that i wrote.

Message 50 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.