Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanity Cards?

tag
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

Re: Vanity Cards?

@jamesdwi wrote:

...declined AMEX if the person isn't wearing a suit or dressed nicely  ah must of stole the card or up to no good.

This is just silly.  An AmEx charge could be declined, simply because the cardholder neglected to pay his bill - not necessarily because he is up to good.

I have never felt the need to dress up in a suit, just to shop at Walmart or use my American Express card.

But I can assure you - that if I were treated badly by a cashier, because he didn't like the way I was dressed, I would go out of my way to make sure that he and his manager were very, very sorry.

Message 61 of 70
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I would never say anything to the customer other than state the card was declined and do you have another method of payment. 

My post was to point out that vanity card is a double edged sword, while you pull out your fancy AMEX, CSP, or other high end card in hopes of impressing someone, it brings along with it the potential to make you look worse should your attempt fail and the card is denied.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 62 of 70
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

not joking worked at walmart, AMEX isn't going to decline a $50 purchase unless the person has major issues, or the card has been reported stolen were not talking about $300 purses or anything like that. I remember seeing very few declined AMEX charges over the 5 years I was a cashier. Did see a few visa and mastercard denials where the cashier or customer service manager was requested to keep the card.

It could be the $50 purchase is out of the person's normal spending pattern or that the location is thousands of miles from where they live. Cards can be declined for more than just those two reasons. I wear a polo and jeans everyday, so I reckon if American Express decline  transaction from me you would think me a theif.

Message 63 of 70
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

not joking worked at walmart, AMEX isn't going to decline a $50 purchase unless the person has major issues, or the card has been reported stolen were not talking about $300 purses or anything like that. I remember seeing very few declined AMEX charges over the 5 years I was a cashier. Did see a few visa and mastercard denials where the cashier or customer service manager was requested to keep the card.

It could be the $50 purchase is out of the person's normal spending pattern or that the location is thousands of miles from where they live. Cards can be declined for more than just those two reasons. I wear a polo and jeans everyday, so I reckon if American Express decline  transaction from me you would think me a theif.

+1. There are a lot of reasons why a card might be declined.

Someone tried to use a copy of my CSP at Marshall's 2 weeks ago, which is clearly outside outside my spending patterns. For one I never shop at Marshall's, and for another it was in a city I've never been to. I'm guessing they used the details of my card to create a replica, but Chase declined the charge and notified me within 10-15 minutes.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 64 of 70
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Someone tried to use a copy of my CSP at Marshall's 2 weeks ago, which is clearly outside outside my spending patterns. For one I never shop at Marshall's, and for another it was in a city I've never been to. I'm guessing they used the details of my card to create a replica, but Chase declined the charge and notified me within 10-15 minutes.

Chase seems to be really good, and sometimes annoying, at detecting this kind of stuff. FIA/Bank of America is the complete opposite and couldn't care less where the card is used or for what amount.

Message 65 of 70
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Chase seems to be really good, and sometimes annoying, at detecting this kind of stuff. FIA/Bank of America is the complete opposite and couldn't care less where the card is used or for what amount.

This is interesting since I've had the exact opposite experience.

I would regularly get a referral (essentially meaning call in to verify this charge before we'll let it through) with BofA, which would occur at least once or twice a year while travelling internationally. It was quite frustrating, since the charges were legitimate and I almost came to expect it after awhile.

Chase on the other hand pretty much lets anything I charge through. I think my account has been flagged to approve 4-5 digit purchases regularly, even from overseas merchants. However the one time something fraudlent was occurring they caught it right away. It seems to be working as intended IMO.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 66 of 70
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

DH worked for BoA in their fraud dept. from his experience, they often declined people who spent out of their normal spending pattern.... Specifically if they bought gas at a discount store (like walmart) and the next purchase was at same store was for a high dollar amount.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 67 of 70
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
DH worked for BoA in their fraud dept. from his experience, they often declined people who spent out of their normal spending pattern.... Specifically if they bought gas at a discount store (like walmart) and the next purchase was at same store was for a high dollar amount.

I think you're right on that. I quickly learned to avoid making purchases under $100 at Target. Those automatically seemed to get a referral. For some reason purchases over $100 didn't give me nearly as much grief.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
Message 68 of 70
SCoach
Established Member

@drkaje wrote:

Is Amex still one of the I've arrived cards?

With all the co-branding, credit cards, and entry level products I'd say it wasn't.

I use the BCP because it makes sense. The typical clerk where I by groceries may not even knows what it is.

Perhaps not ALL AmEx cards, but certainly some.

I'll offer a quick story from an interesting experience last month.  I was at a local hotel bar last month.  Probably the nicest and trendiest one in town.  It was a rather busy night and there were quite a few people at the bar trying to get drinks.  I was waiting my turn.  As people were getting their first drinks and opening tabs, the bartenders were taking cards and stacking them at the register.  I watched this process for perhaps 5 minutes.  When I opened my tab for myself and my date (who was dressed in a beautiful evening gown) I offered my AmEx Platinum card.  He opened my tab, gave us our drinks, and handed me the card back.  I smiled and he smiled.  The difference was that he didn't feel the need to "hold" my card.  It was an interesting data point that night.

I've found that in cenarious where a card must be presented BEFORE service is offered, using the platinum card typically gets me a level of service somewhat different than others.  Whether that's conscious or not I cannot say.  But it is somethimes quite obvious.  I've found much the same thing depending on the car I'm driving.  When I show up to the valet in my Volvo I am greeted nicely.  When I show up in the Land Rover or the new(ish) Corvette, it's a TOTALLY different experience.  Especially if I am with a date.

Peope's perception in the retail and service industries are often formed quickly, and by some very superficial things.  How you're dressed, what you drive, how you speak.  I've even had some servers comment on my wallet when I was preparing to pay.  People DO notice.  

The other thing is that people do know the reputation of the AmEx charge cards.  They know that since the cards have to be paid off every 30 days that you are likely a person of some means or at least very fiscally responsible.  Even among this knowledgeable crowd, we know that those using AmEx charge cards as their primary cards are a bit "different".  The discussions of CLI, APR, Balance Tranfsfers, and all that other stuff are not important AmEx users as they often don't pertain to that crowd or how they use credit.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx Gold | AmEx Bluebird | CSP | Chase Freedom
Message 69 of 70
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

This is interesting since I've had the exact opposite experience.

I would regularly get a referral (essentially meaning call in to verify this charge before we'll let it through) with BofA, which would occur at least once or twice a year while travelling internationally. It was quite frustrating, since the charges were legitimate and I almost came to expect it after awhile.

Chase on the other hand pretty much lets anything I charge through. I think my account has been flagged to approve 4-5 digit purchases regularly, even from overseas merchants. However the one time something fraudlent was occurring they caught it right away. It seems to be working as intended IMO.

@frugalQ wrote:

I live in Maryland and the address for the card is Michigan. My brother used the card in Florida, Georgia, and some other state down there and it has never been used down there. They didn't ring at all, which was fine, but I just found it odd. When I first got the card I made a 2000 purchase and it went through without any problems. I charged 500 with Chase and they rang within the hour. I tried to buy something online with Chase on more than one occasion and the transaction was being processed in the District of Columbia; each time I had to ring and tell them it was me. I've never actually had a fraudulent charge on any card, so have no experience with that.

Message 70 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.