Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vantage West Connect Rewards - 5% Department Stores

tag
ShinsekaiYori
Valued Member

Vantage West Connect Rewards - 5% Department Stores

Hello! First time poster, apologies if this isn't the right place. I just got approved for this card which gives 5% on a category of your choice, one of which is Department Stores.

I'm curious what this entails. Does something like H&M count as department stores?

According to the max rewards app, it does not, but it does say that WalMart and target would count, as well as other random stores like Marshall's, Ross, and obviously stuff like Macy's and Dillard's (which I don't shop at).

Just curious if anyone out there has experience with what counts and what doesn't. 

Off topic sort of, but I wasn't expecting Walmart and Target to count as department stores, if that's true then that's huge for me. That'll be a big gap filler. 

TO

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Vantage West Connect Rewards - 5% Department Stores

Some credit card issuers exclude target for some reason and it will only count as your default CB offer so YMMV.

There is the Target REDcard that gives you a 5% discount upfront Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 13
ShinsekaiYori
Valued Member

For the sake of DP, I will test purchase from there and report back to you guys how it goes. I'll hut WalMart and target both. 

TO

Message 3 of 13
uoyankee
New Contributor

Any way around the geo restriction for this card or is it AZ only?

Message 4 of 13
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

It is VERY geofenced to southern AZ.  I've been trying to find a way in for years now.  From my understanding, this card got hit by the myFICO wave when it came out and they shut their doors to outside apps.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 5 of 13
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@ShinsekaiYori wrote:

For the sake of DP, I will test purchase from there and report back to you guys how it goes. I'll hut WalMart and target both. 

I can't get this card due to the geo, but I'm very interested in the DP! I know that the Elan MCP card includes Target and Walmart in its grocery category specifically, but it would be very interesting to hear that Vantage West includes them as Department Stores (while accurate imo!)

I would think for the most part that what counts as a Department Store is going to depend on the MCC... US Bank Cash+ separates Clothing Stores from Department Stores, so I would guess that something like H&M, while they do seem to dip slightly into home decor, would be predominantly a Clothing Store? When I Google H&M, it comes up as a "clothing retail company" initially.

Emotionally, I would say that if it's normally been a "mall anchor", instead of a shop between corner anchors, then it prolly counts as a Department Store.

SD - Biz -
Message 6 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

It is VERY geofenced to southern AZ.  I've been trying to find a way in for years now.  From my understanding, this card got hit by the myFICO wave when it came out and they shut their doors to outside apps.

That's exactly what happened, they reached FOTM status about 3 years ago and quickly put up a tight geofence.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 13
ShinsekaiYori
Valued Member

@unsungivy wrote:

@ShinsekaiYori wrote:

I can't get this card due to the geo, but I'm very interested in the DP! I know that the Elan MCP card includes Target and Walmart in its grocery category specifically, but it would be very interesting to hear that Vantage West includes them as Department Stores (while accurate imo!)

I would think for the most part that what counts as a Department Store is going to depend on the MCC... US Bank Cash+ separates Clothing Stores from Department Stores, so I would guess that something like H&M, while they do seem to dip slightly into home decor, would be predominantly a Clothing Store? When I Google H&M, it comes up as a "clothing retail company" initially.

Emotionally, I would say that if it's normally been a "mall anchor", instead of a shop between corner anchors, then it prolly counts as a Department Store.

I fear you may be right. Honestly, I got this thinking it would be my salvation for rewards on clothing stores, something I tend to frequent. But the max rewards app claiming that it will instead count for Walmart and Target now has me more intrigued. 

Also, in embarrassed to admit it took me this long to realize I could simply buy the gift cards at the grocery store on my flex which earns 9% at the moment to achieve basically the same thing. Even so, having this card as a Walmart/Target card fills quite a large gap and is even more useful than my original plans for it. 

Of course this all bets on the fact that it works. As soon as I have the card I will make a trip to both for a quick purchase and report back here with my findings. 

TO

Message 8 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@ShinsekaiYori wrote:

I fear you may be right. Honestly, I got this thinking it would be my salvation for rewards on clothing stores, something I tend to frequent. But the max rewards app claiming that it will instead count for Walmart and Target now has me more intrigued. 

Also, in embarrassed to admit it took me this long to realize I could simply buy the gift cards at the grocery store on my flex which earns 9% at the moment to achieve basically the same thing. Even so, having this card as a Walmart/Target card fills quite a large gap and is even more useful than my original plans for it. 

Of course this all bets on the fact that it works. As soon as I have the card I will make a trip to both for a quick purchase and report back here with my findings. 

Look forward to your results, but I'll be very surprised if Walmart/Target code as a Department Store. I don't do Target, way out of the way for me, but Walmart codes as Grocery at every Walmart I've been to in southern AZ (on Visa/MC), which works well for me. I'm thinking it's the City of Tucson ban on "big box" stores, so there's only Walmart Neighborhood Market grocery stores within Tucson city limits. 

I've been a Vantage West member since 2015, and very pleased with them. I have a car loan and the "regular" Visa card with them, I've never app'd for their 5% card, I have both US Bank Cash+ & Elan Max Cash cards covering 5% categories. 

Message 9 of 13
ShinsekaiYori
Valued Member

Ok, just to update. I've received the card, set it to department stores, spent $3.21 at Walmart to test if it was working. 

I recieeeeeved ...... 6 points. So I earned 2x.

HOWEVER,

I realize now what I should have picked is wholesale clubs. So. Now I need to wait for quarters to change in October and then test it again. I will keep this post updated.

TO

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.