Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varied Credit Scores on CC Denial letters when app'd on same day

tag
Jessica503
Established Member

Varied Credit Scores on CC Denial letters when app'd on same day

So a few weeks ago i went on my first spree.. I was about 50% approved on cards and 50% denied depending on the lender (denied by chase, discover, lowes, and was approved by Barclay for $900, US Bank for $4500, and Walmart for $400). I recently received all my denial letters and the credit scores they report vary greatly, from about 635 to 695 and i processed all the apps on the same day. What could be causing this?

Also about 2 days after my spree i was checking on a car refi and they pulled equifax which pulled at a 722 (what?! yipee).

But what gives? I am so confused as to why some creditors would approve me but others would deny me when they have the same info, and HOW can the scores vary so greatly if they were all pulled at the same time? Now I am worried as to what my ACTUAL scores really are with all these hard pulls.

I was also initally denied by Home Depot but they said the reason for denial was that they were unable to verify my identity. I called and answered a few questions and the approved me for a $500 CL.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: Varied Credit Scores on CC Denial letters when app'd on same day

@Jessica503 wrote:

So a few weeks ago i went on my first spree.. I was about 50% approved on cards and 50% denied depending on the lender (denied by chase, discover, lowes, and was approved by Barclay for $900, US Bank for $4500, and Walmart for $400). I recently received all my denial letters and the credit scores they report vary greatly, from about 635 to 695 and i processed all the apps on the same day. What could be causing this? Could vary depending on who was pulled. Were they all the same CR? If so there could be a drop from each additional HP. Those can post immediately. If they were different CRs then FICO scores can vary depending on how info in each report is scores/weighed.

Also about 2 days after my spree i was checking on a car refi and they pulled equifax which pulled at a 722 (what?! yipee). YAY! This may be an auto-enhanced FICO, which could score you higher based on specific criteria for auto loans and behavior.

But what gives? I am so confused as to why some creditors would approve me but others would deny me when they have the same info, and HOW can the scores vary so greatly if they were all pulled at the same time? Now I am worried as to what my ACTUAL scores really are with all these hard pulls.

I was also initally denied by Home Depot but they said the reason for denial was that they were unable to verify my identity. I called and answered a few questions and the approved me for a $500 CL.

Conrgratulations on the new TLs you picked up. Some of my thoughts are above in red.

Message 2 of 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Varied Credit Scores on CC Denial letters when app'd on same day

Lenders use a variety of scoring models (formulas), and because of that, scores won't match each other.

Also, each report may have different information, and the scores may have been calculated on different days.

Lenders use a variety of criteria in deciding whether to approve you.  It's more than scores.  For example, a specific lender may not like a lot of new inquiries or accounts.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.