Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veni, Vidi, Vinci, Visa or How to Master Your MasterCard

tag
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

Re: Veni, Vidi, Vinci, Visa or How to Master Your MasterCard

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
This just goes to show why you shouldn't sockdrawer a CC.  Keep a miniscule balance on it, yes.  I have a CapOne card with a $2 balance now, and an Orchard with $9.  My BofA balance is down to $29.  My motto is, "y'all pretend to give me a real credit limit, and I'll pretend to use your card."

LOLOL.. I love it. However, you now owe me a new monitor since I just spewed Diet Coke all over mine. Smiley Wink

On a side note... congratulations on your credit score improvement! Smiley Happy  It's nice to see your bluntness being voiced on the positive side of things now!!

Message 11 of 149
MM1234
Regular Contributor

Excellent Post!! Great detail.
Message 12 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just snagged myself a Household card with NO annual fee, $750 CL.

Six months ago I was getting "offers" for a $300 CL with $200 in up-front fees and $8 a month in monthly maintenance fees.

It works, folks...you can get back in the saddle again. Just treat your credit cards like the slaves they are, and NEVER use them to revolve a balance for credit to spend money you don't have.
Message 13 of 149
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

Congrats!!!!  Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 149
Anonymous
Not applicable

TheNewWorldMan wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:
One of my green bits on my TU report  (things that good)

1. You've shown recent use of credit cards.

Your FICO score evaluates your mix of credit cards, installment loans and mortgages. People who demonstrate responsible use of different types of credit are generally less risky to lenders. You helped your FICO score by showing recent use of a credit card.

This just goes to show why you shouldn't sockdrawer a CC.  Keep a miniscule balance on it, yes.  I have a CapOne card with a $2 balance now, and an Orchard with $9.  My BofA balance is down to $29.  My motto is, "y'all pretend to give me a real credit limit, and I'll pretend to use your card."

1. You have too many credit accounts with balances.
    Number of your accounts carrying a balance
    8 accountsFICO High Achievers [?] have an average of 3 credit accounts carrying a balance.
    1. Your FICO score considers the number of accounts you have with balances. For credit cards, even if you pay them off in full each month, your credit report may still show a balance on those cards. The total balance on your last statement is generally the amount that is shown on your credit report.
    2. What to do about this: You should consider reducing the number of your accounts that carry a balance and keeping your balances low.

•  

So this is like a compound question.

I keep balanced on these cards because I have 1 bill going to each card. I am doing this because I am afraid of them being closed due to inactivity.

What should I do?

Should I drop a bunch of my newer credit cards? I opened like 3 this year 1 is a discover card with a 3k credit line and the other 2 are $500 each, opened like 1-3 months ago each

Message 15 of 149
      MidnightVoice
      Super Contributor

Personally I would lock away a few with zero balances and use the others, keeping utilization very low.  Every 5 months unlock the unused cards, zero out the used cards and lock them away  Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
      And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
      But to find a graceful way of staying slid
      Message 16 of 149
      Anonymous
      Not applicable

ah the ol rotation

well I can zero out any of them, thats no problem
      like i said I only use them for my monthly bills

Credit expert -me
      Credit expert -the woman
      DSL
      Cellphone
      stuff I buy during the month

I guess what I will do is convert everything to the 3k card and then rotate it like u said

1 other thing I was thinking was, I have money so i was thinking about sending 2 months worth of payments to each card so that each month I am paying the next month's bill, making the balance go negative and when the bill gets charged to the card it it just moves closer back to 0

so each card will have a teetering balance of -20 and 0
      Message 17 of 149
      MidnightVoice
      Super Contributor

Some card or other should have a positive balance, very low, on the reporting date.  Looks better to the CRA
      The slide from grace is really more like gliding
      And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
      But to find a graceful way of staying slid
      Message 18 of 149
      Anonymous
      Not applicable

I need some clarification here. 

My credit scores were all over 800.  I have only a mortgage with a balance.  I have an Amex which I charge everything to and pay off every month.  My Amex reports the balance on the bill regardless of whether I pay it in full or not... I always pay it off in full every month.  Over the past year I started paying in advance so my balances would be small (under $100).  My credit score improved when I started doing this.

Also, I have had a mastercard for 15 years which I have hardly used over the past few years.  I read on the forum that it's better to have some small balances so I charged gas for around $30 last month on it.  My Transunion score dropped 14 points because I had another card with a balance.   Nothing has changed on my credit over the past few years.  I have one modest mortgage and use my Amex.  No late payments, no car loan, no student loans, no other credit cards, no collections, no other loans.... nothing.

Can someone please explain why everyone keeps saying it's better to have a small balance on your credit cards.... yet when I did it my score dropped from 816 to 796?

When I called TU they basically told me I was being ridiculous because either way my score was good.  Now I don't know if I should keep using the other cards or put them away again.
      Message 19 of 149
      Tuscani
      Moderator Emeritus

heatherjo811 wrote:
      I need some clarification here. 

My credit scores were all over 800.  I have only a mortgage with a balance.  I have an Amex which I charge everything to and pay off every month.  My Amex reports the balance on the bill regardless of whether I pay it in full or not... I always pay it off in full every month.  Over the past year I started paying in advance so my balances would be small (under $100).  My credit score improved when I started doing this.

Also, I have had a mastercard for 15 years which I have hardly used over the past few years.  I read on the forum that it's better to have some small balances so I charged gas for around $30 last month on it.  My Transunion score dropped 14 points because I had another card with a balance.   Nothing has changed on my credit over the past few years.  I have one modest mortgage and use my Amex.  No late payments, no car loan, no student loans, no other credit cards, no collections, no other loans.... nothing.

Can someone please explain why everyone keeps saying it's better to have a small balance on your credit cards.... yet when I did it my score dropped from 816 to 796?

When I called TU they basically told me I was being ridiculous because either way my score was good.  Now I don't know if I should keep using the other cards or put them away again.

What is the limit on your Mastercard? Is the limit being reported? What kind of card is it?

And honestly.. there is no difference between 796 and 816. Smiley Happy
      Message 20 of 149
      Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.