Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venture 1 or QS?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Venture 1 or QS?

I have an upgrade available for my CapOne Plat. It's at $3500 ($3000 before steps) and 25.9%.  My BK7 discharged in 12/2019 and Cap has been very forgiving.  I'm just wondering if Venture One or QS would be the best choice for upgrade.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Venture 1 or QS?

It depends on which card's rewards would work better for you.  QS is 1.5% cash back on all purchases, which is nice if you don't have a flat cash back card yet.  V1 is 1.25 "miles"/dollar spent with the miles being redeemable for statement credits on travel purchases or transferable to a few airlines.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 

Message 3 of 14
VintageMel
New Contributor

I just wanted to chime in with a few things I appreciate about the QS:  Available cash back updates as each transaction posts, you don't have to wait until the statement cuts.  Plus there's no minimum redemption.  If you shop on Amazon you can pay using your cashback, which I have foudn to be quite handy.

Mine started out its life as a secured card, and as a result I haven't been able to grow it much, which is a shame because it's really a solid cash back card in my opinion. 

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Cap1 QS March 2017 | AmEx BCP July 2019 | Citi DC June 2020 | AmEx Delta Gold October 2020 | Chase FU October 2020 | Macy's AmEx May 2021
Message 4 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

QS is a solid card.

V1 is Cap One’s worst card IMO.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 14
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Yeah, I had the V1 for a while. Totally useless card after they took out 10x for hotels.com, especially cause I could transfer rewards from my QS to Venture. 

[2/2019]
Message 6 of 14
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:

Yeah, I had the V1 for a while. Totally useless card after they took out 10x for hotels.com, especially cause I could transfer rewards from my QS to Venture. 

They do have 5x on Uber Eats and 5x on their travel portal, but losing Hotels.com hurts (and no doubt it's because Hotels.com got their own cobrand with Wells Fargo).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

They do have 5x on Uber Eats and 5x on their travel portal, but losing Hotels.com hurts (and no doubt it's because Hotels.com got their own cobrand with Wells Fargo).

Well, the promo always had an end date (Jan 2020?) starting a long time ago.   So maybe that's because the cobrand was planned, but in that  case why not end closer to launch?

Message 8 of 14
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

Well, the promo always had an end date (Jan 2020?) starting a long time ago.   So maybe that's because the cobrand was planned, but in that  case why not end closer to launch?

Maybe Covid delayed the launch?

[2/2019]
Message 9 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The Venture One has no advantage over the QS unless you will make good use of the transfer partners and even then, you'd have to be getting a lot of extra value per mile before that 1.25 rate would eclipse a free 2% card. If you won't use the transfer partners, The V1 is simply a restrictive cash back card with a pretty poor 1.25% earning rate where the QS is unrestricted 1.5%.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.