Not applicable

Re: Venture Card

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Hex wrote:

I just noticed that the Cap1 Venture Card offered on the capital one site offers 50,000 bonus miles for $3K spend in the first 90 days with AF of $95. I was just pre-qualified and approved for 40,000 bonus miles with the same spending requirement and AF of $59. I didn't realized that there is more than one offer out there and wanted to share the info with everyone.

What justifies the annual fee increase? An extra $100 on the signup bonus which is limited to travel isn't worth it IMO. 

They literally added $36 to the annual fee to give you... Nothing. 

For $95 a year I can get the Citi TY Premier, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, or Everyday Preferred... All of which are way better than Capital One's offering and can transfer to partner programs. Capital One, instead of improving their weak, outdated offerings (1.5% QS, 2x $95 with no transfer partners Venture) they're making them worse. 

The Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Everday Preffered give you membership points.  I would take the 500 dollar travel reimbursement credit over 25k MR any day of the week.  Also you would have to get both to get 50k in sign up bonuses.  And Every day Preffered doesn't waive fee first year.  But as you can get a 2 percent cash back card over this card with no annual fee I think it makes zero sense to keep this card past year one. 

I'll take the 15,000 MR points plus 4.5x, 3x, 1.5x on all purchases rather than 2x fake miles per purchase. 

I'd also rather have 6%, 3%, 3%, 1% over 2x fake miles any day. 

@For those who want to keep a card for more than one year (most people) these two AMEX cards make more sense than the Venture @ $95/year.

The Citi TY Premier squashes this card with it's no first year AF, and esentially 3.75x, 2.50x, and 1.25x categories when redeeming travel through Citi's portal, or you can transfer them out at 3x, 2x, 1x and it's still likely a better deal with the 30,000 to 50,000 points sign up bonus. 

The 50,000 miles I bet is a temporary sign up bonus that'll go back to 40,000 after the dust settles from everyone being angry about the AF hike. Raising the AF is going to do nothing for them other than encourage more chruning, make them experience more AF waiver requests, and that's about it... It doesn't make the card seem more desirable for the average card holder. My boss has had this card  for years and he said he's dropping it when I told him about the AF hike, and I bet others who know credit cards will follow suit. 

There is no way the Everyday Preferred is as good as this card.

With your assumption of 15k bonus ( I would go for the 30k bonus but since your  brought up the 15k bonus)

With 15k MR points which I would say are much less valuable than the Venture points as you can't use them for any travel.  But for sake of argument say they are worth 1 cent each both.

Amex 150 dollars    Cap One 500 dollars

-95 first year fee        no fee first year

so right now before any spending the Cap One is up 445 dollars

Cap One gives you 2 percecnt on everything.   

So lets say I spend 12000 on groceries, 1000 on gas and 30000 on other spending.  Amex only gives 3 percent on first 6k of groceries than no bonus.   So no benefit to Amex. 

Amex    Cap One

groceries   240        240

gas            20           20

misc          300         600

total      $615        $1360

If you want to get the max 30k bonus (which is what I would do) for amex that would make Amex $765 vs Cap One $1360.  

MR points can be used for travel... They transfer to hotel partners, Delta, Jet Blue, etc. They're worth more than one cent per point when you transfer them. 

It gives 4.5x on groceries for the first $6,000 per year, and then 1.5x, each point worth more than 1 cent each. I would say that's a significant benefit to AMEX

Again, I was speaking from the prespective of someone who will keep the card past the first year. 

Your math is incorrect --

• 240/month for grocery spending is 4.5x (220) = 990 points (1.5 cent per piece for example) = $14.85 in value, so basically 6.18% back. 
  • 20/month on gas station spending is 3x (20) = 60 points (1.5) = $0.90 in value, so basically 4.5% back. 
  • 300/month misc spending is 1.5x (300) = 450 points (1.5) = $6.75 in value, so basically 2.25% back. 

The Venture is worse besides the signup bonus. 

You are certainly not using my math that is your issue.  The 240 is not grocery spending a month it is how much you would get back using the card, I didn't realize your got 50 percent multiplier with 30 purchases a month.   And Amex points are worth less than a cent when used for Hotels.  Worth maybe a penny a point for rental cars.  Perhaps a penny a point to Delta but not really as you can't use them a penny a point for any flight you want.  And with Jet Blue transfer the normal transfer rate a MR point is worth like .8 Jet Blue Points. So depending on where you are flying you will get less than a penny a point from them. A lot of the Amex Gift Cards dont' give you 1 cent per MR point. 

I would say Venture are much more valuable as you can use on any type of travel you want.  And 1 point = 1 cent. 

Using your rates

Groceries 12000 a year

Gas 2000 a year 

misc 30000 a year

Groceries (270 dollars + 90 dollars = 360 dollars a year  vs 240 dollars a year on the Venture. 

Gas 60 dollars amex 40 dollars 

Misc:  450 dollars vs 600 dollars

360 + 60 + 450 = 870 dollars

240 + 40 + 600 = 880 dollars

If you care only maximum value and not bonuses than just get a Citi Double Cash (2 percent on everything), a Cap One Savor (3 percent dinning).  NFCU Amex ( 3 percent groceries) and Bank of America 3 2 1 ( 3 percent gas) and not have to pay any annual fees and have straight cash.  If 5000 of your misc was dining it would give you:

$1070 under the same scenario and you would have zero annual fees.   But really bonus chasing is the way to go you will never be able to match rewards that someone gets bonus chasing with cards that don't give bonuses.  .  And the Venture is a better bonus chasing card now.  

Message 41 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Literally gave you what the max point value would equal if it were cash back. 

Anyway I'm moving on from that conversation. 

I think this card is great for the sign up bonus, but so-so for everything else. The no hassle rewards program is good, but the value of the rewards when compared to other $95 competitors is weak. 

Message 42 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think this card is great for the sign up bonus, but so-so for everything else. The no hassle rewards program is good, but the value of the rewards when compared to other $95 competitors is weak. 

You said Amex points were worth 1.5 cent each but they are only worth .7 cents for hotel redemptions.  I wouldn't use this beyond the bonus but I would use the Amex card past the bonus either.  Neither are worth the annual fee. 

Message 43 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You said Amex points were worth 1.5 cent each but they are only worth .7 cents for hotel redemptions.  I wouldn't use this beyond the bonus but I would use the Amex card past the bonus either.  Neither are worth the annual fee. 

Now compare it to the CSP with 50,000 sign up bonus to see how good the Venture is. 

Message 44 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn’t matter, Amex has nothing to do with this thread. Nothing. This is not a “which card is better” thread. Way off topic. 

Chase and Citi too..,, nothing to do with this thread. 

Message 45 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Justagirl73 wrote:

It doesn’t matter, Amex has nothing to do with this thread. Nothing. This is not a “which card is better” thread. Way off topic. 

Chase and Citi too..,, nothing to do with this thread. 

The thread ran its course pages ago. An increased annual fee is part of the topic. 

Message 46 of 71
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

They should do 3% cash back with a $99 AF or maybe even $199 AF and they would get a lot more business in my opinion.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 47 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would pay even more of an AF for a 3% travel card.

Travel spend accounts for something like 45% of my annual spend on a credit card.  Next year it'll be close to 60% of total spend.

Hoping to get in the door with Alliant for their 3%/2.5% card for that.  In fact, that card would be my go-to travel card forever considering how low the annual fee is.

Message 48 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One has multiple offers for the Venture out right now, with varying degrees of AFs and sign up bonuses. The best combination can be found with this link (not a referral link):

https://applynow.capitalone.com/?productId=2020

This gives you the $59 AF with the 50k sign-up bonus for $3k spend.

Adjusting the number after "productId=" shows you different offers. For example, if you change "2020" to "2019", you get an offer for the Venture for a $95 AF with a  40k sign-up bonus for $3k spend. The 2021 offer is the 50k sign-up bonus, but with a $95 AF. So on and so forth. I checked them all and the 2020 offer is the best one.

Enjoy.

Message 49 of 71
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Nicely done!
Message 50 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.