cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very high utilization -- risk of adverse action?

tag
CraigHwk
Regular Contributor

Re: Very high utilization -- risk of adverse action?

I am bugged by my Barclays Apple card.  0% for 18 months, so I bought a 3k iMac with a 4k credit line.  Reports just like a normal card, so I hope other lendors don't get spooked by it.   Hopefully pay it down below 50% over the next few months.

All my other cards are paid in full though, so hopefully I have that going for me.

USAA MC ✪ Amex BCP, SPG, Platinum ✪ Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Marriott Rewards, United Explorer ✪ Discover IT ✪ CapOne QS ✪ Fidelity Visa ✪ BarclaysPlatinum Rewards ✪ Citi Double Cash

Starting EX FICO (2010): 513 | Current FICO: EX 759, EQ: 773, TU: 761
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not recommend doing this. You are taking a gamble not only with Citi but with your other creditors as well by spiking your utilization very suddenly to a very high level.  It's up to you and there is no way we can guarantee you won't experience AA. There are no guarantees in the credit world. Smiley Happy

You mention that the charge you wish to place is a "huge charge." How huge? if you have 80k in overall credit, why not divide the charge more evenly between cards?

Message 12 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^OP mentioned they wouldn't actually let the balance post and would PIF right away before statement cut; hence no utilization spike.

As to OP, as long as you charge it and pay it right away, I don't think you'll have an issues. If anything, citi might like you more for the hefty swipe fee.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
^OP mentioned they wouldn't actually let the balance post and would PIF right away before statement cut; hence no utilization spike.

Citi will definitely see the utilization spike even if he does this. I doubt Citi will be thrilled about it. And as we know - life happens. He could end up having to take longer to pay it.

Message 14 of 19
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I'll chime in...your fico scores are great, internal scores with citi are great - thus the $18k DC, your AAOA is 8-10 years I am sure and overall citi don't want to lose your business. Even if you did not pif there won't be any AA I don't believe. With your profile, you'll probably have to max 3-4 of your cards out or have a few lates to maybe see AA. If anything citi will probably say it's about time we get him for some interest payments. You are what most banks considered a deadbeat client Smiley Wink 

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You won't have a problem just do it. You have great scores and a great profile. I don't think anyone would mess with you if you carried it for some months. Providing you don't pay the minimum due.

I ran my Cashforward up 90% and paid it off in 3 months. Zero balances on all my other cards and no issues.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You won't have a problem just do it. You have great scores and a great profile. I don't think anyone would mess with you if you carried it for some months. Providing you don't pay the minimum due.

I ran my Cashforward up 90% and paid it off in 3 months. Zero balances on all my other cards and no issues.

You're responding to an almost 8 month old thread.  Whatever the OP was going to do he has already done.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow...I spaced. Never even looked at the date...Thanks Irish..

Wonder how the OP made out.
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow...I spaced. Never even looked at the date...Thanks Irish..

Wonder how the OP made out.

Heh no biggie, I've done the same thing before.  Maybe the OP will see the thread and let us know what happended.  He's still active on the forums.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.