Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very limited Credit History - card help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very limited Credit History - card help

Hello and thank you to all who read this post!

I am currently looking to build my credit, but do not want to negatively affect my credit by applying for numerous cards. Can someone recommend one that I am likely to be approved for? Here is a bit about me:

1 Student loan (2 yrs)- $10,700 - Currently in deferment (Good standing); I have made payments on this already, but they will not be reported until I am out of the grace period.

No other accounts listed on my credit report.

EX does not list a credit score, but EQ & TU do. Transunion reports my Fako? scores as 675-690... myfico estimator was: 675-725.

I am still enrolled in school (last semester)

I also have a full time job w/ income of about 38,000/yr.

Okay, that was a mouthful...

Anyone with a similar situation or any advice as to which cards I should apply for? I am not so worried about Par's as I plan on paying in full each month, a low annual fee would be nice though... (Maybe I am pushing it)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Very limited Credit History - card help

Try CITI FORWARD FOR STUDENT, I got approved with the credit report almost same like you, 3000 limit, they just ask me to fax my student ID. Apply one store card that easy to get, Macy's approved me with 600 CL.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

citi, if they will approve as previous poster says would be way better but otherwise Best Buy MC has been the only one I have known that would approve with no credit history and your not going to like the limit.

sit back and in 6 months when you have a credit score, amex zync.

Message 3 of 6
jforsyth
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Try CITI FORWARD FOR STUDENT, I got approved with the credit report almost same like you, 3000 limit, they just ask me to fax my student ID. Apply one store card that easy to get, Macy's approved me with 600 CL.

Good Luck.

Were you approved for Citi Forward recently, or were you approved before the new credit card laws went into place?

According to Credit Karma reviews, Citi Forward has been increasingly more difficult to get. Some have said that Citi is looking for at least 6 months of history on two credit cards before even being considered.

EQ FAKO: 779 (03/26/15)
TU FAKO: 785(03/26/15)
Citi Double Cash | Citi Forward | BankAmericard Cash Rewards | Amex Zync
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.... Here is what I am thinking.... I am going to take the leap. I have no other choice do I?

I am thinking I will apply for three different cards.

1. Citi - Student?

2. Capital one - Student or Regular?

3. Orchard Bank - do not really want to .. but if all else fails..

Do you think it will be a bad thing if I apply for all three on the same day? Will future creditors look bad upon this? Also, should I go with the student cards or just regular cards? Which do you think will be more willing to approve me?

Sorry for asking so many questions, ..

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 6
sgs10
Regular Contributor

Why do u want to apply 3 credit cards. Thats a chunk of inquiries. The last inquiry will probably get denied. Give some time before applying for next cards. Keep less Inquires so u will have some good chance for approval. Creditors do not want to see too many inquiries.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.