Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very, very upset with Synchrony Bank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very, very upset with Synchrony Bank

Hello folks, that's my 1st post and I discovered the forum making searches related to my issue.

Abruptly, Synchrony put my 2 store cards (Amazon and Paypal Credit) in hold. On the same day, I requested a new store card (Walmart) I suspect that the hold was because of it. Anyway, I received a approved message of Walmart Card.

I only discovered because I was making a purchase using Amazon and the Amazon Store Card was not available.

I called customer service and there is a fraud suspect related to my accounts.

Today, I receive a mail letter with a form called SSA-89. According the instrucions, I will have to sign to authorize the SSN US Department give some information to the Bank. I need to sign and send the letter to the "Fraud Department".

The letter (from Synchrony Bank) is referencing my 3 store cards probably managed by this company. I'm a heavy user of Amazon Store Card with > $500 / month of purchases and without any issues until now.

I moved to US at the middle of last year and my SSN was avaiable since November. There is nothing bad related to my financial background except that my SSN is new and all my credit cards accounts are fresh (< 1 year). The same week, I applied for another 2 cards. Best buy and an Amex card. I wasn't approved to Best buy (just the Visa version with a $59 anual fee) but I was approved to Amex card.

My Fico today is 715. Last month was 736 but I forgot to pay 2 cards at the due date, I paid 1 day later.

My cards are Bank of America Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Visa Merrick Bank, I actively use the first 2 besides the Amazon Store card.

I don't use Paypal Credit more.

What could be happening? I'm very worried and upset about that.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Very, very upset with Synchrony Bank

SSA-89 is a form basically to verify your identity (authorizing the Social Security Administration to verify that your name and SSN match). So my guess is that something bordering identity theft is on their radar, or could be. I wouldn't have any issues filling out the form, but I'd make sure that you are not actually a victim of identity theft. Do you have any monitoring set up? Check all your credit reports and check them today.

Message 2 of 32
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

And I would stop applying for cards, for two main reasons. One, too many cards at once from the same issuer can be a risky (as in they shut down and close all your accounts); and two, like the PP said, checking for identify theft is the priority. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 3 of 32
NRB525
Super Contributor

Synchrony wants to confirm you have a legit SSN. This is a good thing.

Fill out the form, and that should solve the issue.

And take a break from applying for new credit for a while. Good luck!
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 32
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Adkins wrote:

And I would stop applying for cards, for two main reasons. One, too many cards at once from the same issuer can be a risky (as in they shut down and close all your accounts); and two, like the PP said, checking for identify theft is the priority. 

And I would make darn sure no more payments are late, no matter if it is 1 day. You may want to consider billpay or autopay. 

Oops, OP, I meant to welcome you to MyFICO. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

seems pretty routine to me. New SSN, 5 cards opened close together  (presumably since November). I can understand wanting some extra verification.

I don't think it should be upsetting or insulting.

Message 6 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

And I would make darn sure no more payments are late, no matter if it is 1 day. You may want to consider billpay or autopay. 

Oops, OP, I meant to welcome you to MyFICO. 

Thank you for welcome.

In my origin country, If the due date were on a weekend or national holiday, the date would automatically be postponed to the next working day.I'm still adapting to the American way. That's why I had late payments on 3 cards.

I do not like the automatic payment because paying manually forces me to check all the invoices.

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

SSA-89 is a form basically to verify your identity (authorizing the Social Security Administration to verify that your name and SSN match). So my guess is that something bordering identity theft is on their radar, or could be. I wouldn't have any issues filling out the form, but I'd make sure that you are not actually a victim of identity theft. Do you have any monitoring set up? Check all your credit reports and check them today.

I have the Discover monitoring active and seems to be OK according the e-mails that I received.

Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adkins wrote:

Yes, you are right but it's very hard to keep almost 100% of monthly expenses via credit card if you don't have a good limit.

My first CC was BoA Cash Rewards with a $1000 limit when I still did not have SSN. After the SSN grant in November I was able to raise to $ 2000. I tried to raise to $4000 in January without success.

My Discover IT had a $1000 limit and now they offered me $1500 limit.

They are my main cards.

I have a Visa Merrick Bank with a $700 limit that I use exclusively  to non-dollar operations because the card doesn't charge foreign transactions.

I use Amazon Store Card activelly to all Amazon purchases.

Last March I had to buy a new cellphone ($999 plus taxes) and I had to make a $2000 reload payment at the BoA card to be able to purchase. It's too bad to have to do this. I don't want making comparions but in my origin country I had 2 unlimited limit cards.

Last week I have been applied to Walmart Card, Best Buy Card and an Amex Card. I was approved to the Amex Card with a $5000 limit. Due to this, I am wondering to cancel Paypal Credit, Best Buy and Walmart and promote Amex as my main card. What do you think?

My next goal is to get the Visa Amazon Card to be able to cancel Amazon Store Card.

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

seems pretty routine to me. New SSN, 5 cards opened close together  (presumably since November). I can understand wanting some extra verification.

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm less worried after reading your messages.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.