Did you mean: 

Very, very upset with Synchrony Bank

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Very, very upset with Synchrony Bank

@Anonymous wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

And I would stop applying for cards, for two main reasons. One, too many cards at once from the same issuer can be a risky (as in they shut down and close all your accounts); and two, like the PP said, checking for identify theft is the priority. 

Yes, you are right but it's very hard to keep almost 100% of monthly expenses via credit card if you don't have a good limit.

My first CC was BoA Cash Rewards with a $1000 limit when I still did not have SSN. After the SSN grant in November I was able to raise to $ 2000. I tried to raise to $4000 in January without success.

My Discover IT had a $1000 limit and now they offered me $1500 limit.

They are my main cards.

I have a Visa Merrick Bank with a $700 limit that I use exclusively  to non-dollar operations because the card doesn't charge foreign transactions.

I use Amazon Store Card activelly to all Amazon purchases.

Last March I had to buy a new cellphone ($999 plus taxes) and I had to make a $2000 reload payment at the BoA card to be able to purchase. It's too bad to have to do this. I don't want making comparions but in my origin country I had 2 unlimited limit cards.

Last week I have been applied to Walmart Card, Best Buy Card and an Amex Card. I was approved to the Amex Card with a $5000 limit. Due to this, I am wondering to cancel Paypal Credit, Best Buy and Walmart and promote Amex as my main card. What do you think?

My next goal is to get the Visa Amazon Card to be able to cancel Amazon Store Card.

At this stage, so long as the cards have no fees, I wouldn't cancel them.   You can just not use them and maybe they will be closed, but they are adding to the age of your accounts increasing your credit score.

Did you have an Amex in your home country?   If so, you could have tried Global Transfer to get one here, but that's probably not needed now.

But I think the best piece of advice given is to set up autopay.   You don't want to be late on accounts.

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

But I think the best piece of advice given is to set up autopay.   You don't want to be late on accounts.

I'm not a big fan of PiF autopay. I like going manually through everything like the OP does, but I do have autopay set up to make the minimum payment a bit before the statement close date. I've generally paid everything before that triggers, but at least if something weird happens I know I have the minimum covered to avoid lates.

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t like auto pay either. I keep track with my budget app. When the month starts over, I drag the "Paid" bar to the bottom of the screen, rename it to the current month, and check each card one by one, pay them if needed, then change the date of the next due date to the following month and drag it below the "Paid" bar again. This way I’m guaranteed to never miss anything, even if there is a statement notification I don’t get or a charge I forget about. Since due dates come once a month, it’s impossible to miss a payment this way. 

773748FA-0BF5-4571-A2BC-0A8398DC2F1F.jpeg

The app is called Fudget if anyone is interested. I also use it for manual budgeting because I don’t like apps that request access to my accounts. 

I had autopay set up for one month but it’s just not for me. I want control over what comes out and when. 

Message 13 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don’t like auto pay either. I keep track with my budget app. When the month starts over, I drag the "Paid" bar to the bottom of the screen, rename it to the current month, and check each card one by one, pay them if needed, then change the date of the next due date to the following month and drag it below the "Paid" bar again. This way I’m guaranteed to never miss anything, even if there is a statement notification I don’t get or a charge I forget about. Since due dates come once a month, it’s impossible to miss a payment this way. 

The app is called Fudget if anyone is interested. I also use it for manual budgeting because I don’t like apps that request access to my accounts. 

I had autopay set up for one month but it’s just not for me. I want control over what comes out and when. 

This approach may help against forgetting, but doesn't help if you are in hospital etc.   Auto pay makes sure payment (min if you must, PIF otherwise!) goes through whatever!   

Message 14 of 32
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I use sheets   

@Anonymous wrote:

I don’t like auto pay either. I keep track with my budget app. 

I use spreadsheets, because I'm barbaric. I use strikethrough.

hardcore.jpg

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This approach may help against forgetting, but doesn't help if you are in hospital etc.   Auto pay makes sure payment (min if you must, PIF otherwise!) goes through whatever!   

This is certainly the case but some issuers will take the minimum payment if you have a balance, even if you already made a payment and that’s obnoxious. If I end up in the hospital, I’m still going to pay my bills. I never leave home without my phone and if I’m so sick that I have to be hospitalized long enough I can’t get access to my phone to make payments, in all likelihood I’m not going to be able to pay my bills anyway. 

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@staticvoidmain wrote:

I use sheets   

@Anonymous wrote:

I don’t like auto pay either. I keep track with my budget app. 

I use spreadsheets, because I'm barbaric. I use strikethrough.

hardcore.jpg

Of all the things I know about computers, I always managed to avoid spreadsheets lol. 

This app actually does have strike thru available on the swipe menu and I was doing that for awhile but I’ve already got a habit of checking my accounts literally multiple times a week anyway. The chances of me missing something are extremely slim between push, text, and email notifications along with me checking apps all the time. I mean I have a folder that has every single app and I go from one to the next. 

Message 17 of 32
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Adkins wrote:

And I would stop applying for cards, for two main reasons. One, too many cards at once from the same issuer can be a risky (as in they shut down and close all your accounts); and two, like the PP said, checking for identify theft is the priority. 

Yes, you are right but it's very hard to keep almost 100% of monthly expenses via credit card if you don't have a good limit.

My first CC was BoA Cash Rewards with a $1000 limit when I still did not have SSN. After the SSN grant in November I was able to raise to $ 2000. I tried to raise to $4000 in January without success.

My Discover IT had a $1000 limit and now they offered me $1500 limit.

They are my main cards.

I have a Visa Merrick Bank with a $700 limit that I use exclusively  to non-dollar operations because the card doesn't charge foreign transactions.

I use Amazon Store Card activelly to all Amazon purchases.

Last March I had to buy a new cellphone ($999 plus taxes) and I had to make a $2000 reload payment at the BoA card to be able to purchase. It's too bad to have to do this. I don't want making comparions but in my origin country I had 2 unlimited limit cards.

Last week I have been applied to Walmart Card, Best Buy Card and an Amex Card. I was approved to the Amex Card with a $5000 limit. Due to this, I am wondering to cancel Paypal Credit, Best Buy and Walmart and promote Amex as my main card. What do you think?

My next goal is to get the Visa Amazon Card to be able to cancel Amazon Store Card.

My most used card was a $200 secured discover. You don't need to use every card every month. Pick one and rotate them, or keep them store specific (ie Walmart is giving 3% back to use their card, so only use their card at that store). I wouldn't cancel any cards since you already have them. 

I can't remember if the Amazon Visa is under the 5/24 rule or not - it may be out of reach for two years at this point due to you having too many new accounts. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Adkins wrote:

I can't remember if the Amazon Visa is under the 5/24 rule or not - it may be out of reach for two years at this point due to you having too many new accounts. 

According the link, the Visa Amazon Card is managed by Chase.

https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-back-credit-cards/amazon-rewards

Is the 5/24 rule applied when you are a Chase client?

Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Did you have an Amex in your home country?   If so, you could have tried Global Transfer to get one here, but that's probably not needed now.

No. In my home country I had Mastercard Black and Visa Infinite both managed by the bank that I had my account for 30 years.

Amex tried give me the unlimited card a lot of times but I never want because Amex is not much accepted in Brazil. Visa and Mastercard are, Amex isn't.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.