Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Black Card - AF charged at card activation

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Visa Black Card - AF charged at card activation

I called the Visa Black Card application number.  The rep told me that the annual fee is not charged until the card is activated.  They send out a welcome packet and you are under no obligation to accept the card or pay the fee unless you activate the card.

This makes perfect sense.  First, it just seems fair.  Second, it accords with the T&C listed on the application page. 

I'm posting this in a new thread as the old one is locked because my comments were taken to be disrespectful.  Given what is stated in the T&C, given the respone I got from the card rep, and given the dubious prior posting of the person who claims to have been given the card with a CL that appears to violate Federal Law, I find the whole thing highly suspicious.  But here is some more info on the card if someone else is considering applying.  Finally, if I am mistaken about the other poster's intent, here is yet another piece of info that should help them in their dispute with Barclays.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Visa Black Card - AF charged at card activation

@Walt_K wrote:

I called the Visa Black Card application number.  The rep told me that the annual fee is not charged until the card is activated.  They send out a welcome packet and you are under no obligation to accept the card or pay the fee unless you activate the card.

This makes perfect sense.  First, it just seems fair.  Second, it accords with the T&C listed on the application page. 

I'm posting this in a new thread as the old one is locked because my comments were taken to be disrespectful.  Given what is stated in the T&C, given the respone I got from the card rep, and given the dubious prior posting of the person who claims to have been given the card with a CL that appears to violate Federal Law, I find the whole thing highly suspicious.  But here is some more info on the card if someone else is considering applying.  Finally, if I am mistaken about the other poster's intent, here is yet another piece of info that should help them in their dispute with Barclays.

Once an INQ has been placed the obligation to accept the card has begun, unless willing to waste INQ.

Also, a TL generally reports regardless of activation, which merely signals to the issuer that the card holder has received the card in the mail.

Does sound a bit odd to hear of a product where an AF being placed, is linked to activation of a card, unless am mistaken.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

Once an INQ has been placed the obligation to accept the card has begun, unless willing to waste INQ.

Also, a TL generally reports regardless of activation, which merely signals to the issuer that the card holder has received the card in the mail.

Does sound a bit odd to hear of a product where an AF being placed, is linked to activation of a card, unless am mistaken.

I could have been clearer, but I was referring to a separate issue raised in another thread.  The issue isn't whether an inquiry or TL will report.  It is a question about whether you'd have to pay the AF.    Specifically, whether you have to pay the ~$500 AF because you applied for the card even if you decide you don't want to activate it.  The answer to that question, based on talking with customer service, and based on reading the T&C of the offer, is no.  You are correct that you have an inquiry on your report regardless, but that has nothing to do with whether you are obligated to accept the card.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walt,

I want to first thank you for bringing this to my attention. In fact today when I called Barclay's again I brought up the fact that the AF would be in violation of federal law. I'm now waiting for a call back from a senior manager. Your other comments however are following a trend of negativity which I try to avoid at all costs. You view me as a troll, liar, and a fake. When in reality I feel like I am a victim of my own ignorance and foolishness. But in the end I thank you for the knowledge and expertise that you so far have brought to the table. Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
mindacid
Valued Member

Walt_K wrote:

"I called the Visa Black Card application number.  The rep told me that the annual fee is not charged until the card is activated.  They send out a welcome packet and you are under no obligation to accept the card or pay the fee unless you activate the card."

Does anyone know or does anyone have an opinion as to whether this is something that is unique to each card issuer?  I can' t imagine that if I apply for and receive a Capital One card in the mail and I just let it sit on my kitchen counter inactivated that I wouldn't eventually receive a statement with the AF on it.  Just curious what everyone thinks or knows.

Message 5 of 12
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

Here's the take away: don't app for a card with a $495 annual fee. Smiley Very Happy

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 6 of 12
daylove
Regular Contributor

Why is anyone applying for a card if they have no intention to activate it?

Message 7 of 12
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Not all cards have to be activated.  I just received one and it said I could use it right away...and I did. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 8 of 12
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

Apping for a card should not automatically obligate a person to activate it or pay the annual fee.  You can turn it down.

One very good reason for doing so is exactly what the OP said, getting a rediculously low CL, espcially on a card with an AF.

Ten years ago I applied for a Cap One card.  When it came in the mail it said $59 annual fee, and credit limit of $300.

I laughed at the tiny CL and never activated it. Fairly soon after that I got a bill with the annual fee on it and I called and raised holy hell saying I never activated the card, did not want the card and refused to pay the annual fee. I think they said "Do you want to cancel the card?" and I said "I don't want a card with a $300 CL; yes close it and credit the fee".  They cancelled the card and credited the annual fee.  It still shows up as a TL on my report, "Paid satisfactorily--  Credit line closed--cosumer request".

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most CC Terms & Conditions specifically state that activating or using the card is the trigger activity which indicates acceptance.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.