Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Black Card - Annual Reward

tag
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Visa Black Card - Annual Reward

Last year the Visa Black card was a useless parker pen reward, another year ray bans -- both I sold on ebay. This year, today, I received something more function, Maglite 3-D cell flashlight and a mini mag light; both complete with batteries. It's more functional, so I'll keep it and store it for emergencies since I already have mag lites in the home. For a "luxury card" I expect more luxurious rewards though, like a high end watch or something like that but of course, the company is in it to make money so the less they spend on rewards the more they have in profits. I understand.

Here's a photo of the box I received:

IMG_0362.JPG

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Visa Black Card - Annual Reward

High end watch not even for amex centurion cards lol, but hey at least they send you something.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol....sounds like you need no AF version of this card.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

High end watch not even for amex centurion cards lol, but hey at least they send you something.

+1

While I don't think the Visa Black is good value for money, the annual reward is not a consideration in my calculation. Let's face it, the AF is $495. No luxury watch or the like is going to be less than $495. Moreover, something like a watch won't work because there are too many factors that go into it. Head size, strap size, strap type, head shape, gender of wearer, size of wearer (does a bigger or smaller head make sense) and god knows how many other considerations. Parker pens and the like are lot easier to give to a broad audience without personalizing it. $495 is a lot for an AF, but if you are looking for a luxury watch expect to pay quite a bit more.

The Visa Black is a lesser version of an Amex Plat for most people but without the same level of perks. Sure it tries to give lounge access and similar perks and rewards for spend as well, but it falls short in most categories. For a select few, the card might make sense, but for most of us it is a waste of money and its competitors like the Citi Prestige and Amex Plat make much more sense. However, if they started throwing out a customized luxury watch every year, I would be more than happy to sign up as long as they use an objectively reasonable definition of a luxury watch Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

While I don't think the Visa Black is good value for money, the annual reward is not a consideration in my calculation. Let's face it, the AF is $495. No luxury watch or the like is going to be less than $495. Moreover, something like a watch won't work because there are too many factors that go into it. Head size, strap size, strap type, head shape, gender of wearer, size of wearer (does a bigger or smaller head make sense) and god knows how many other considerations. Parker pens and the like are lot easier to give to a broad audience without personalizing it. $495 is a lot for an AF, but if you are looking for a luxury watch expect to pay quite a bit more.

The Visa Black is a lesser version of an Amex Plat for most people but without the same level of perks. Sure it tries to give lounge access and similar perks and rewards for spend as well, but it falls short in most categories. For a select few, the card might make sense, but for most of us it is a waste of money and its competitors like the Citi Prestige and Amex Plat make much more sense. However, if they started throwing out a customized luxury watch every year, I would be more than happy to sign up as long as they use an objectively reasonable definition of a luxury watch Smiley Happy

I'd be game for a Movado Smiley Wink  I'm sure if they bought them in bulk they could get a Museum for $250-$300 which still leaves them room for profit in their near $500 AF...

Oz

Message 5 of 15
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Im waiting on the card that sends out a Patek Philippe Smiley Wink  

In all seriousness though, I would also enjoy that gift - You can never have enough flash lights around the house

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, my gift was a Cross Tech3+ pen with my name engraved on it, arrived about 3 weeks ago in a fancy little box. It's black and made of metal, just like the card Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

In all seriousness though, I would also enjoy that gift - You can never have enough flash lights around the house

That Patek Phillipe is something else.  I saw it unveiling on Youtube by a User who was homeless and then became a millionaire (He didn't specify how).  But he unbox the Palladium card, a Ferrari at the dealership and the Patek Phillipe.  Just makes you wonder...

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

That Patek Phillipe is something else.  I saw it unveiling on Youtube by a User who was homeless and then became a millionaire (He didn't specify how).  But he unbox the Palladium card, a Ferrari at the dealership and the Patek Phillipe.  Just makes you wonder...

No it doesn't. The answer is easy. Endorsement deals!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lyythine wrote:

No it doesn't. The answer is easy. Endorsement deals!

I really hope so.. He said he was sleeping in the streets... Let me see if I can find the video and will link. That was easy.. In comment section, from homeless to a hedgefund manager...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJr4HyHM_s

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.