Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Sig Preferred

tag
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Visa Sig Preferred

So I was looking at the Visa Sig and found out that Visa Sig Preferred is the it card now...lol
Anyway, visa said its the highest visa offered to compete with Amex platinum.

http://www.regions.com/personal_banking/signature_preferred_credit_card.rf
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Visa Sig Preferred

@kampfer09 wrote:
So I was looking at the Visa Sig and found out that Visa Sig Preferred is the it card now...lol
Anyway, visa said its the highest visa offered to compete with Amex platinum.

http://www.regions.com/personal_banking/signature_preferred_credit_card.rf

I'd tend to be of the opinion that the "preferred" is a marketing tag stuck on the card by Regions, not by VISA.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 12
kampfer09
Frequent Contributor

Actually if you check visa they do offered visa sig preferred according to their website.
Message 3 of 12
Elcid89
Contributor

@kampfer09 wrote:
Actually if you check visa they do offered visa sig preferred according to their website.

Found this on the WSJ. Looks like you're correct

The nation's merchants will soon start paying more when some big spenders pull out their plastic.

Next month, Visa USA Inc. will set a new tier on its high-end "Signature" line of credit cards that will be aimed at consumers who spend more than $50,000 a year on their cards. Merchants will pay, on average, 14% more per transaction when cardholders pay with a "Signature Preferred" card compared with a regular Signature card.

Unlike other new products, Visa isn't planning a splashy campaign to promote the new tier, which is expected to offer more perks for cardholders. Instead, it will be up to card-issuing financial institutions to decide whether they will bump up customers to the new level by issuing new plastic or just adding the features to their current Signature card.

Visa has quietly introduced the product to its card-issuing financial institutions in recent weeks. The San Francisco-based card association, which is owned by thousands of banks, will launch the new level on April 14. It declined to disclose which banks will offer the Signature Preferred level.

Still, comparing the two Regions cards, it doesn't look like much of a difference. Extra half a point per dollar spent and a few mediocre perks (price protection and trip insurance) I don't go in for "prestige" cards just to be able to say that I have them. Others can do as they please.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 12
Elcid89
Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

@Smug wrote:
Modcut

Modcut

I think that the point (which was poorly stated) is that a lot of people seem to want certain cards because of a perceived cachet as opposed to the actual benefit they will obtain from them. I agree with the commenter in that regard; it's silly IMO, but people are free to waste their own money as they choose.

Message 5 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

The Preferred is from Regions, not Visa. Visa does have a Visa Signature Preferred, but it is not advertised like this one is.

@Elcid89 wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

@Smug wrote:
Modcut

Modcut

I think that the point (which was poorly stated) is that a lot of people seem to want certain cards because of a perceived cachet as opposed to the actual benefit they will obtain from them. I agree with the commenter in that regard; it's silly IMO, but people are free to waste their own money as they choose.

The same could be said about American Express charge cards, especially the Green.

Message 6 of 12
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Yeah I think this is like CSP, with the Preferred designation done by the issuer not Visa. If this were a Visa Signature Preferred, the Visa logo would reflect it. Never seen a VSP card so this is just how I imagine one would look:

Message 7 of 12
Elcid89
Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

The Preferred is from Regions, not Visa. Visa does have a Visa Signature Preferred, but it is not advertised like this one is.

@Elcid89 wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

@Smug wrote:
Modcut

Modcut

The same could be said about American Express charge cards, especially the Green.

I would agree. I wouldntt necessarily have a Platinum AMEX if my firm wasn't picking up the tab for the annual fee and letting me keep the rewards.

Message 8 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder:

Please remember to keep all posts on the MyFICO Community Forums freindly, helpful, and supportive!

Thanks all!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 12
CS800
Super Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

Yeah I think this is like CSP, with the Preferred designation done by the issuer not Visa. If this were a Visa Signature Preferred, the Visa logo would reflect it. Never seen a VSP card so this is just how I imagine one would look:

Off topic by looking at your signature, you havre some darn good CL. $40K on the Discover IT , nice !!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.