Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature Cell Phone Protection

tag
MissImMe
Valued Member

Visa Signature Cell Phone Protection

Hello all!

I recently cracked my iPhone screen which is out of Applecare's warranty. They're quoting me $329 to replace it. I have the Uber Barclay's card which is a Visa signature. Cell phone protection is one of the benefits the card has left.Smiley Happy Has anyone have experience filing a claim and receiving the money back? TIA

Finally hit the 800 club. I don’t see any other credit cards that I want. Guess I’ll garden.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Cell Phone Protection

Have you been paying your cell phone bill with that card?  That's a requirement for most of the cards that offer that benefit.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 8
MissImMe
Valued Member

Yes I have. I also own the phone out right. 

Finally hit the 800 club. I don’t see any other credit cards that I want. Guess I’ll garden.
Message 3 of 8
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I had a friend who filed a claim with their Wells Fargo card.  He said it was pretty straight forward...  call the credit card, take it to a repair center, submit the bill, get a check.

He said there was a deductible, though.  I did some perusing, and it looks like deductibles range from $25 to $100 depending on the card.

I don't see reports of AA taken to people who file claims, so I'd say go for it.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I'd be skeptical to rely on this coverage without first seeing the turnaround time for a replacement device. Traditional phone insurance through a cell carrier (Asurion) will have a new device to you next-day delivery. Yes, 24 hours from now. 

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also I'd be skeptical to rely on this coverage without first seeing the turnaround time for a replacement device. Traditional phone insurance through a cell carrier (Asurion) will have a new device to you next-day delivery. Yes, 24 hours from now. 

Well, a replacement device, that could be new or refurbished.   But still, good service, at a price!

Message 6 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If the OP is getting the screen replaced on his own dime and then waiting for reimbursement then there's no turnaround time to worry about.  Nonetheless I don't think there'd be any downside as I'm assuming the OP is going to fix the phone regardless of coverage as $329 is usually a lot cheaper than replacing a new iPhone. 

Message 7 of 8
JamP
Valued Contributor

+1 

I am interested in how this works. I paid for unlocked pixel phones right out last time and if they break, I hope to be able to fix\replace them or even get some cash back towards new ones.

Not to highjack your post but has anyone filed a claim with Huntington Voice.

I may need to look at my visa card coverage now. 

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.