Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature card - what are these?

tag
kroberts67
Established Contributor

Visa Signature card - what are these?

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I've seen many a talk about Visa Signature Cards but I don't know why they are so wanted.  What makes a card a Signature card, what are the perks, why do you all want them so badly?

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

Re: Visa Signature card - what are these?

Yeah there are perks. Rental car insurance, travel accident insurance, NPSL among other things.

Mastercards version is World MC. 

Message 2 of 31
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Message 3 of 31
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@kroberts67 wrote:

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I've seen many a talk about Visa Signature Cards but I don't know why they are so wanted.  What makes a card a Signature card, what are the perks, why do you all want them so badly?

Visa Signature cards offers a number of perks such as travel protection, concierge services, entertainment/ luxury hotel & other stuff deals, etc. Also, Visa Signature reports as "flexible spending credit card" (other term given- NPSL) which means that you can go over your given limit w/o overlimit fees, as long as you pay the excess by the due date.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 4 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

Their concierge service is subpar at best.

Take JP Morgan's conceirge service as a comparison: One busy Saturday night with no prior reservations I call the number on the back of my JP Morgan Select card and explan that I'm in the middle of a crowded 5-star restaurant with a 2 hour wait and an impatient date by my side. Less than 5 minutes later the hostess gets a phone call from JP Morgan's Executive Office and within 2 minutes my date and I are sitting in one of the best seats in the house sampling Italian wines 'on the house'.

I'll never forget that night. That was one night that I feel like JP Morgan got me laid. Smiley Happy

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 5 of 31
Involver
Valued Contributor

IMO it's largely someting people might consider an "I made it" status on a card that signifies your credit history is strong.  The extra benefits aren't really anything to write home about.

Message 6 of 31
phonic
Contributor

Some might consider it an 'I made it' status, but they would be delusional.

Sure, a VS card in general offers reasonable perks and requires a $5k minimum CL, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm not saying it shouldn't be a goal for people rebuilding credit or just starting out, but it shouldn't be considered some 'upper class' status.

Outside of the uber-elite cards like the Centurion and JPM, which have much more stringent asset and spending requirements that 99.999% of people will never qualify for, credit cards don't mean much.

If I recall correctly, the Visa Infinite is somewhat more 'elite', with an even higher CL requirement, but that isn't offered in the US.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 7 of 31
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Signature cards also have included extended warranties for purchased items.  

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 31
Involver
Valued Contributor

@phonic wrote:

Some might consider it an 'I made it' status, but they would be delusional.

Yeah that's kind of the tone I was trying to imply (and think I failed at).  

Message 9 of 31
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I made it status? Thank you! Lol.

In all seriousness, there are extra perks but I don't think I ever used any of them, I don't think it's such a big deal to have a siggy. Also, to the OP some credit card companies will only give you one if your credit limit is at least $5000. 

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.