Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature?

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa Signature?

@Open123 wrote:

With Visa/MC's agreement with the DOJ to allow merchants to selectively offer a discount for non-rewards cards, it's hardly surprising issuers will just go ahead and hand out the Visa Signature cards.

If I were running a CC issuer, I'd go ahead and just hand out as standard the highest fee rewards cards period--classic "**bleep** for tat" strategy.

I can understand this and it is most likely the reason they do it. Im just saying it lowers what is supposed to be a high level card.

I know when I was told I was "upgraded" to Visa Signature I didn't know what it was and after looking into it, I am still not really impressed. My parents have cards that say Visa Signature or World Mastercard and never noticed or cared what it meant.

Message 21 of 24
bs6054
Valued Contributor

This is just part of the general trend of grade inflation.

Back in 1986 or so, I got my first, wait for it, Gold Mastercard.  It didn't have any rewards of course, but it was GOLD colored.  And, being young with all that implies, I was impressed as were other people.  Then a Gold Amex the following year.  Was I a player or what???  (No, of course not!  Following year I cancelled the Amex because I couldn't justify the AF).

Now, even here, Platinum cards are nothing, and people want Sigs/World or World Elite MC.   And, in the wider world, as others have also said, most people don't know or care if their card is one of those, providing it works when needed.

Message 22 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

Now, even here, Platinum cards are nothing, and people want Sigs/World or World Elite MC.   And, in the wider world, as others have also said, most people don't know or care if their card is one of those, providing it works when needed.

I'm a credit card enthusiast and I'll consider sign up bonus, rewards structure and lender way before I get to who does the payment processing.  I've never considered whether it's Visa, MC, Sig or MC Elite when I app for a new card.  

Message 23 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

@bs6054 wrote:

That's why Visa and Mastercard can afford to keep offering these benefits to us. For the knowledgeable consumers' benefits, keep them a secret! Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.