Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa vs Mastercard benefits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Visa vs Mastercard benefits?

Both are accepted virtually everywhere in the U.S. so are there any real differences in benefits that set them apart? - I'm talking about rental car coverage, travel accident insurance, purchase protection, and the like.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Visa vs Mastercard benefits?

If you're up for some reading, this may answer your question(s) Smiley Happy 

How do Visa and MasterCard Perks Compare?

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, just what I was looking for! For those who are curious, gist of the article is that Visa slightly edges MC when it comes to network benefits.

Return protection for goods merchant won't accept

Visa - 90 days from date of purchase

MC - 60 days

Purchase protection for lost or stolen goods

Visa - 90 days

MC - 90 days

Travel protection

Visa - Accidental death and dismemberment

MC - Trip cancellation insurance

Car rental insurance

Both cards do but Visa has better coverage

Not every Visa/MC has these benefits but its good to know they exist.

Message 3 of 6
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

These perks/benefits can vary from one Visa to another and from one MC to another, can't they.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@-Cain- wrote:
These perks/benefits can vary from one Visa to another and from one MC to another, can't they.

Each tier of card offers certain perks - Gold vs Platinum vs Signature - that are set by the tier of card.

Overall, I'd say that the Visa/MC difference is pretty irrelevant, unless I've missed something important somewhere. The rewards coming from the card issuer (bank/CCC) seem more attractive to most people.

I think Amex still has the best perks in terms of purchase protection etc, which is one of the few reasons I want an Amex.

Message 5 of 6
ultimatefighter
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@-Cain- wrote:

Each tier of card offers certain perks - Gold vs Platinum vs Signature - that are set by the tier of card.

Overall, I'd say that the Visa/MC difference is pretty irrelevant, unless I've missed something important somewhere. The rewards coming from the card issuer (bank/CCC) seem more attractive to most people.

I think Amex still has the best perks in terms of purchase protection etc, which is one of the few reasons I want an Amex.

I recently was doing research on this as I was deciding what card to apply for next and Visa does offer a few nicer benefits/perks BUT as noted, it's all about which Visa Cards (banks) offer those. Those better perks/benefits are reserved typically for the nicer (read: harder to get) Visa cards. I can tell you that my Chase Rewards Platinum MASTERCARD has better benefits/perks than my wife's Orchard Bank Platinum Visa. So it's not about Visa vs MC but rather bank/credit card vs other bank/credit cards.

I also agree that pretty much any nice Amex has better benefits/perks than any equal Visa or Mastercard.

Current Score: EQUIFAX 706
Current Score: EXPERIAN 712
Current Score: TRANS UNION 722
BK in 10/2005

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.