Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa -vs- Signature Visa

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Visa -vs- Signature Visa

@Gunnar419 wrote:

bobebob -- If I recall correctly, BofA is one of the few Visa Signature cards that still reports like that. Most others now specify a limit.

My one Visa Signature (CapOne VentureOne) is too new to have reported yet, but it's not an NPSL card. It has a defined CL.

FWIW, I got it because of the travel benefits, including the coincierge service and no (especially) foreign transaction fees.

Couple other data points.  My Citi AA Visa Signature reports its limit.  My CSP Visa Signature reports its limit. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 29
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Gunnar419 wrote:

bobebob -- If I recall correctly, BofA is one of the few Visa Signature cards that still reports like that. Most others now specify a limit.

My one Visa Signature (CapOne VentureOne) is too new to have reported yet, but it's not an NPSL card. It has a defined CL.

FWIW, I got it because of the travel benefits, including the coincierge service and no (especially) foreign transaction fees.

My Venture card reports its limit. It shows as "Flexible Spending Credit Card." By contrast, my BoA also reports as "Flexible Spending Credit Card," but it doesn't report the limit, only the high balance. I hope that they change this eventually.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 22 of 29
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

They don't report as NPSL nor are they a true NPSL card. They allow you the grace to go over your limit but once you do I doubt you will be able to keep on swiping. Mine show as Flexible Spending Credit Card as others have pointed out. Take one if you can get one as it the minimum limit to get one that matters. 

In reality how many people actual take advantage of the benefits other than talking about having access to said benefits? Anyone? I have used AMEX concierge services a few times for travel and finding a gift once but other than that it's kind of odd. 

The logo does look nice in silver, colored logos are so 2009 ;-)

Message 23 of 29
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Don't Visa Signature holders get automatic upgrades at certain hotels?  This seems like a valuable benefit.

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 24 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@icetrap06 wrote:

Don't Visa Signature holders get automatic upgrades at certain hotels?  This seems like a valuable benefit.

I think there might be something about that.  But you're probably talking about an upgrade as in a room that isn't right next to elevator, not getting upgraded to a suite.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 25 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

They don't report as NPSL nor are they a true NPSL card. They allow you the grace to go over your limit but once you do I doubt you will be able to keep on swiping. Mine show as Flexible Spending Credit Card as others have pointed out. Take one if you can get one as it the minimum limit to get one that matters. 

In reality how many people actual take advantage of the benefits other than talking about having access to said benefits? Anyone? I have used AMEX concierge services a few times for travel and finding a gift once but other than that it's kind of odd. 

Can't think of a time I've used Visa Signature benefits, but I've benefitted from Amex purchase protection and extended warranty a few different times. I've never used the concierge with either of them and can't imagine doing so other than maybe asking for assistance with a restaurant reservation in a foreign country.   

Message 26 of 29
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@icetrap06 wrote:

I think there might be something about that.  But you're probably talking about an upgrade as in a room that isn't right next to elevator, not getting upgraded to a suite.

if you want upgrades, you should book through the visa signature hotels website. It's only usable by visa signature cardholders, and will give other benefits such as free breakfast, late checkout, free internet or valet parking, and some small amount of hotel credit ($25-50). Be aware that these are typically high end hotels, so you're going to be paying $200-500 per night anyways. 

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 27 of 29
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Can't think of a time I've used Visa Signature benefits, but I've benefitted from Amex purchase protection and extended warranty a few different times. I've never used the concierge with either of them and can't imagine doing so other than maybe asking for assistance with a restaurant reservation in a foreign country.   

I've used the concierge only once, but the one time I did it was invaluable. I was stranded in LAX on New Year's eve after a 3 hour delay made me miss my international connecting flight. My connecting airline helped me get a hotel room on an otherwise completely full evening, but in the meantime United had lost my luggage. The sad thing is the concierge was able to track it down faster than United could, since United couldn't even figure out what city it was in. The only other benefit of any worth is the extended warranty. The others are minor and I often forget they even exist.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 28 of 29
Bearclaw
Established Member

I enjoy visa signature cards for two main reasons - I travel frequently so I use the concierge weekly to make reservations and I use the visa signature hotel site to book hotels. However, just know that the hotel site is a dime a dozen and lots of cards offer similar situations.

As far as upgrades go - I recently paid for a $200 room at a 5 star hotel and was upgraded to a $2500 suite. Definitely worth it.
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.