Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WATCH OUT FOR YOUR DUE DATES

tag
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

WATCH OUT FOR YOUR DUE DATES

The President has declared Friday, December 26, 2008 as a Federal Holiday.

If you have due dates for December 25, 26, 27 and 28, 2008, remember to pay early.

Don't get caught up in late payments.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: WATCH OUT FOR YOUR DUE DATES

Thanks for the helpful reminder! 
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

These days I would pay no latter than 3 days before the due date (online) to allow pleanty of time for the payment to be processed.  A week before the due date but after the statment drops should cover all bases.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

The President can invent holidays? I thought Congress had to do that.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
The President can invent holidays? I thought Congress had to do that.

I found an article that said he did it in 2003 as well, the last time Christmas was on a Thursday.  

I'm just hoping the county I work for follows suit so that I can have 2 holidays banked going into 2009 instead of just 1.

Message 5 of 9
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Yes, the President has the authority to declare a one day holiday anytime he likes by Executive Order.

Generally, when Christmas and New Years falls on a Thursday or Tuesday, the President in most cases will issue an Executive Order declaring the day before or day after as a one time holiday.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'll pay all of my cards now and just start using 1 of my cards that's due in the middle of next Month. I can't take a chance on being late.
Message 7 of 9
ralbusta
Frequent Contributor

The holidays that the President declares affect only those who work in the executive branch (includes all cabinet branches and agencies which fall under them). Basicly it's giving federal employees a free day off.

I'm pretty sure that the it doesn't change any banks' schedule. But as you say its better to be safe than sorry.

BTW he did it last year also!

Edit to add---Order excludes postal workers, so the post offices will be open!

Here's the release:

http://www.opm.gov/news/president-bush-authorizes-the-federal-government-to-be-closed-on-december-26...

Message Edited by ralbusta on 12-16-2008 11:08 AM
Message 8 of 9
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

The problem is not if your Bank is open or closed, but if the credit card processing section will have enough employees available to process your payment.

Remember, it's not the Postmark date that counts, it's the time and date when your payment is processed that counts.

It's my understanding that many credit card issuers will be operating on a limited number of employees to that other employees who have vacation time coming will enjoy the holidays with their family's.

I agree, to be on the safe side, make your payments a little earlier than the due date, especially if it falls on the 26th.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.