cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF Secured Credit Card Denied: Re-Apply. Any Solutions?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

WF Secured Credit Card Denied: Re-Apply. Any Solutions?

hi, I'm non resident alien, and traveling USA these days.

i made chase account yrs ago. At this time, I decied to make secured credit card: Having friend in America makes it possible to use his address.

So I visited WF branch in San Diego, applied secured debit card, opening a new account. But next day, I was told that my apply was rejected since I have no insufficient income(I'm student). i found that student can make an secured credit card on this forum, so I have no idea about why I'm rejected.

I'm scheduled to back to my own country soon, and I'm planning to visit another branch in LA next week. Banker said that the higher blance, the more likely I can get the card, so also planning to deposit more money - about 300$: the blance for now is about 400$ -. 

Is there any other recommend for me to get secured credit card? If somebody know, please let me know! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WF Secured Credit Card Denied: Re-Apply. Any Solutions?

As I understand it, non-resident aliens cannot open credit cards. If you claim to be a resident alien then they will ask for your social security number, which presumably you don't have.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As I understand it, non-resident aliens cannot open credit cards. If you claim to be a resident alien then they will ask for your social security number, which presumably you don't have.

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

As I heard at WF and saw on thier homepage, non resident alien can make secured credit card. but I heard that It is almost impossible that making it unsecured credit card.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well when I opened my very first (secured) credit card I had to send the bank a copy of my social security card and a contemporary utility bill showing I actually lived at the address I claimed to live at.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well when I opened my very first (secured) credit card I had to send the bank a copy of my social security card and a contemporary utility bill showing I actually lived at the address I claimed to live at.

Please see Wells Fargo's FAQ here. : https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/secured/index

I tried opening BoA before, they asked what you said: utility bill and so on.. so I think it depends.

At this time WF request me nothing. Please wish me luck(?) for this time.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a social security number?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, No. But on wells fargo's faq, it said it is fine if I dont have SSN.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://apply.wellsfargo.com/creditcard?execution=e1s1

"What you'll need to apply

- Social Security number".

Per the PATRIOT Act you almost always have to supply a valid Social Security number (sometimes you can get away with an ITIN) whenever opening a new account with a US financial institution.

The FAQ you linked above said that it's ok for permanent residents who don't have a Social Security number to apply. You are not a permanent resident.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.