Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WF Signature Visa benefits question

tag
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

WF Signature Visa benefits question

So I always thought that a Signature Visa was more desirable than a regular Visa. Accordingly, I looked into a PC from my WF Platinum (non-Signature) to WF Active Cash (Signature). Before I pulled the trigger, I was shown this comparison:

WF.jpg

I was shocked to find that my current card offers the rental collision CDW and travel accident insurance but the upgraded Signature card doesn't (I imagine to compensate for the 2% cash back). Based on that I'm inclined to decline the upgrade because I've always viewed the CDW as one of the most important benefits (I rent cars a lot).

Am I just behind the times? Can Signature cards have fewer benefits than non-Signature cards from the same issuer? I find it weird.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Hex
Valued Contributor

Re: WF Signature Visa benefits question

That just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe you could find both card's Guide to Benefits and double check that. Or call CSR. I'd be very surprised if that's correct.  

Message 2 of 9
Hex
Valued Contributor

Message 3 of 9
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

If it's a real Visa Signature card, it should have it. You call Visa.

According to this (Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card Guide to Benefits), it should have it.

However, their link to "Guide to Benefits" goes here, which does not have it.

I am not sure why they would not list it on the official Active Cash page. It's could be just specific to their own (WF, not Visa) benefits. If you want peace of mind, call them to confirm.

Message 4 of 9
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

From the horse's mouth (aka Visa's own website):

It seems CDW is no longer a standard Signature benefit.

Visa1.jpg

Here's some additional weasel wording:

Visa2.jpg

Personally, I feel that the whole Visa Signature concept has been bastardized and that this borders on false and misleading advertising.

Message 5 of 9
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Check if the CDW coverage is primary or secondary.

Most cards offer secondary coverage (uses your personal insurance first) which doesn't really give you much value, except for covering your deductible.

I prefer to use my Amex Plat with optional primary CDW coverage to avoid having my personal insurance being used in the event of a rental mishap.....

Message 6 of 9
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

Check if the CDW coverage is primary or secondary.

Most cards offer secondary coverage (uses your personal insurance first) which doesn't really give you much value, except for covering your deductible.

I prefer to use my Amex Plat with optional primary CDW coverage to avoid having my personal insurance being used in the event of a rental mishap.....

I don't have my own car so the credit card coverage would be the only coverage, unless I wanted to pay for the rental company's CDW waiver at $50/day. I've had years with 100+ rental days.

I can always use another card for my car rentals. But I was surprised to find that the upgrade would really be a downgrade except for the cash back.

Maybe I'm better off just keeping my plain old non-Signature WF Platinum which does offer the CDW.

Message 7 of 9
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@NYC_Fella wrote:I don't have my own car so the credit card coverage would be the only coverage, unless I wanted to pay for the rental company's CDW waiver at $50/day. I've had years with 100+ rental days.

I can always use another card for my car rentals. But I was surprised to find that the upgrade would really be a downgrade except for the cash back.

Maybe I'm better off just keeping my plain old non-Signature WF Platinum which does offer the CDW.

Really not a fan of how (mostly big) banks make an exception on benefits advertised by the networks (Visa, MC). It feels like "Visa Signature" or "World Mastercard" doesn't mean anything at all, even more. I would still ask WF about it though.

I personally would just use a different card.

Message 8 of 9
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Really not a fan of how (mostly big) banks make an exception on benefits advertised by the networks (Visa, MC). It feels like "Visa Signature" or "World Mastercard" doesn't mean anything at all, even more.

Exactly. It seems to have become quite meaningless, especially when a non-Signature card offers more benefits than a Signature card from the same bank.

(Signature cards do offer "Visa Concierge Services". There are probably 3 people in the world who use that benefit.) 🙄

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.